Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4909 Discussions

Intel server not booting with dual processors

CeteexBusiness

I've bought an intel S2600WF server. At first, I put two Intel Xeon Gold 6148 processors into the server, but then it got stuck on the initialization screen after "Memory initialization complete. No errors" with POST code 21. I found that if I removed the second CPU, it booted just fine. I've tried adding two ram sticks in all available spots, but it hasn't helped.

I have checked that both CPUs have the same stepping. I have also had each CPU in the computer at once, so none of them are faulty from what I can tell.

I have set the BIOS settings to default with the jumper, removed the storage device.

Here are the specs: Windows 2019 Server 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz Xeon Gold 6148

0 Kudos
45 Replies
CeteexBusiness

I've sent the logs on email. As for your question, I tried installing the CPU in slot 2 a while ago and it doesn't work. If I remember correctly, the system just fails to boot at all, no fans starting or anything. And as I mentioned earlier about the POST code error page, there's no longer a page with POST code error 21 on the main server as that disappeared with the BIOS update but instead made the server not even get to that screen. Instead, the fans start for a while before turning off and then the POST code LED lights I sent a picture of earlier shows. I have a second server that hasn't had its BIOS updated, and I could probably get that out of its package again if it's needed. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

HI CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for your update.

Since you are unable to access BMC and gather debug logs, please share sysinfo logs with us so that we can investigate further. This log does not contain any private information.

Link User Guide for Intel System Information Retrieval Utility (Sysinfo):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023940/server-products/server-boards.html

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Checking my email again, I got an email saying they were unable to deliver your email because the email does not appear to be related to an existing case. I replied directly to the email I received, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. If you haven't received the logs, let me know and I'll try again.

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hi CeteexBusiness,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for sharing the details. It appears that the CPU isn't functioning in slot 2, causing the system to fail to boot. Additionally, after the BIOS update resolved POST code error 21, the server now briefly starts the fans before halting, with LEDs indicating an issue.

To assist further, could you please provide additional details about the LEDs' indication? This will help us diagnose and resolve the issue more effectively. If possible, include any recent changes or actions taken before the problem started.

Looking forward to your response.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Best Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Hello,

I've provided details about the LED's indication a few messages ago, including a picture and what the blinking pattern is. Is that enough details about the LED's indication, or is there something more needed?

Also, there weren't any changes or actions taken before the problem started. I bought the intel server new, and I've had the problem since I've tried to setup the server.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi CeteexBusiness,

Kindly allow us some time to check for further action.

Regards,

Fikri

0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Good day!

Thank you for your continued cooperation.

Just to confirm the troubleshooting that has been done so far, you confirmed that Xeon Gold 6148 processor while installed on slot 2 ( along with slot1)

does not boot to the server and gives post code 21 ( via LED's)

Then we tried using these 2 processor on a working motherboard and it gave the same issue indicating the issue might be with the processors.

However, you tried the new two Intel Xeon Platinum 8176 processors on this same board ( Intel® Server Board S2600WF ) and that also gave the same issue. This indicates that the issue might be with the board itself as you have tried 2 different sets of processors and both have the same issue.

Kindly confirm if the above details are accurate as this will help us in identifying which component has the issue.

Also we have not received the log files as it seems like the email has not come through. I have sent another new email asking for the logs, kindly reply to that with the log files so that we can check it.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Hello! Yes, the information above seems to be accurate. I have sent the email with the two log files I got from sysinfo again. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Subhashish
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for confirmation. After carefully reviewing the entire case history, as we are not able to boot the server with 2nd processor installed, it is an issue with slot. We have reviewed the logs as well.

we have sent an email to you requesting additional information. Kindly share the same with us and we will assist you with an RMA for the board.

Regards,

Subhashish.

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness
Hello! I have responded to the email with an additional question. Thanks!
0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness
Hello, do you have any new updates regarding this? I haven’t received any updates regarding the RMA via email.
0 Kudos
Fahadshoukat
Beginner

Hello, Ceteex Business

Recently I'm facing this same issue. It looks like you're having a tough time with your Intel S2600WF server. Since each CPU works on its own but not together, you might want to check for any bent pins in the CPU socket or look for BIOS updates that support dual CPUs. Also, make sure your power supply can handle both CPUs and that everything is compatible with your motherboard. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Fahad Shoukat

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness
I have tried the processors on two servers of the same model, and I have checked for bent pins and installed the latest bios update. Also, I am certain the power supply can handle the two processors, and they should both be compatible. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Greetings!

We have requested few details via email. Kindly reply back to that via email so that we can check on this further.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness
Hello! I have sent the required details.
0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Greetings!

This is a follow up email, Kindly provide an update on the current status and if you were able to check the plan of action provided.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness
Hello,

As I mentioned in the email a few days ago, I was on a vacation and just got home yesterday and haven’t had time to check all the steps you mentioned yet.

I’ll try to find time today to try them out, thanks!
0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Good day!

This is a follow up. Please let us know if you were able to check the steps provided and let us know the current status.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Hello,

I have unfortunately not had time to check the steps I received via email as my schedule the past week had been filled. I'll try my best to check on this during the weekend, thanks!

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hi CeteexBusiness,

Greetings!

Sure, Please keep us posted once you have an update.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Greetings!

This is a follow up. Kindly let us know if you were able to check the steps provided and let us know the current status.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos