Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4882 Discussions

Intel server not booting with dual processors

CeteexBusiness

I've bought an intel S2600WF server. At first, I put two Intel Xeon Gold 6148 processors into the server, but then it got stuck on the initialization screen after "Memory initialization complete. No errors" with POST code 21. I found that if I removed the second CPU, it booted just fine. I've tried adding two ram sticks in all available spots, but it hasn't helped.

I have checked that both CPUs have the same stepping. I have also had each CPU in the computer at once, so none of them are faulty from what I can tell.

I have set the BIOS settings to default with the jumper, removed the storage device.

Here are the specs: Windows 2019 Server 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz Xeon Gold 6148

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum and thank you for providing the details.

May I know if you have tried swapping the processor slots ( 1 with 2 and 2 with 1) and see if that works?

Also Kindly let us know if these Xeon Gold 6148 processors are Tray processors? Kindly include the pictures of the processors with the serial number details so that it can help us to confirm.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for the details given regarding the BIOS update.

May I know if you have tried swapping the processor slots ( 1 with 2 and 2 with 1) and see if that works?

Also Kindly let us know if these Xeon Gold 6148 processors are Tray processors? Kindly include the pictures of the processors with the serial number details so that it can help us to confirm. 

Also we request you to use this thread to post the replies as the concern is reported via this community forum.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

My bad, I couldn't find the correct thread.

I went ahead and tried the CPUs on a new server of the same model to rule out any issues with the server itself, but I have the exact same issue there.

I'm not 100% sure if they are Tray processors, although I got them from someone who had already used them and I got only the CPU itself without any retailer box.

I've attached a picture of the processors, although they have already been attached with thermal paste and I'd like to avoid pulling that off if possible.

IMG_1459 (1) (1) (1).png

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hi CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for sharing the details. We kindly request you to provide pictures of the processors, including the label details, and share the system information so we can check and assist you further.

Thank you for your understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha N

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Here's some more information about the system that I've gathered:

CPU: Intel Xeon Gold 6148 CPU @ 2.40 GHz, 2394 Mhz, 20 Cores, 40 Logical Processors

BIOS Version: SE5C620.86B.02.01.0017.110620230543

OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Standard Evaluation 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Here are some additional pictures from the bios as I'm currently unable to remove the thermal paste:

IMG_1461.png

IMG_1460 (1) (1).png

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Greetings!!

Thank you for sharing the details.

Could you please provide pictures of the processors that display the serial number details, including the Intel label?

Best Regards,

Vishal

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Sure! Is it possible to send the serial number details in a private message?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Greetings!!

We have sent an email requesting for serial number details.

Best Regards,

Vishal

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for sharing the serial number of the processor. According to our warranty check website, the warranty for this processor expired on 2021/12/14. We also see that this is a Tray processor.

Please confirm if this processor is part of an L9 system. Additionally, kindly share the proof of purchase via email so that we can verify the warranty details.

Regards,

Simon

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for your response, An L9 system is a complete system where all components on the system board are sourced from Intel. So kindly confirm if the processor was a part of an L9 system or was it purchased separately.

Best regards, 

Amina 

Intel Server Support 

Intel.com/vroc 

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

I bought the server itself completely new from Intel, and then the processor was purchased separately.

0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for the update!

We see that you had mentioned you tried these processors on a different working server and you had the same issue there as well. This might indicate that this is not an issue with the motherboard.

However, do you have any other working processors which you can install on this Intel® Server Board S2600WF motherboard and see if it loads? This is to rule out any motherboard slot issues. 

Also would you be able to provide us the latest debug logs of the server so that we can check if there is any other hardware issues?

You can get the logs via BMC using the steps given in the below link.

Steps to get the BMC log : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027943/server-products.html

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness
Hello! I do not currently have access to another processor but I have purchased two new Xeon platinum 8176 processors to test with that will most likely arrive in a few days.

I tried to enable BMC following the steps, but I’m unable to reach the website in my browser. In the bios, I tried to set the BMC static Ip to both the machine’s Ip, and also tried setting it to an unused Ip, but I’m still unable to reach the website.
0 Kudos
Sachinks
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for the update.

Would you be able to provide us a screenshot of the post code error page ( with POST code 21) ? Kindly provide us the screenshot of the entire page.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness
Hello! I’ll take a picture of the post code page on the second server I have once I’m home as I updated the bios to the newest version on the first server and the server just refuses to start at all with two processors after that and instead starts beeping with the post code lights flashing. I don’t currently remember what lights were flashing and I’ll check that tomorrow, but I do remember that I put it into the intel decoder website and with no answer. In the meantime, I can let you know that the page showed "Chipset initialization complete. No errors found.
Memory initialization complete. No errors found.” With post code 21 in the bottom right corner.
0 Kudos
Ragulan_Intel
Employee

Hi CeteexBusiness,

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks for the feedback.

We would appreciate if you can provide us the beep pattern and the POST Code Diagnostic LED Decoder pattern for us to investigate this.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Ragulan_Intel

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Hello! I received the new processors today (Two Intel Xeon Platinum 8176) and they have the exact same issue. Here's a picture of the POST Code pattern.IMG_5017.jpeg

The two green lights as can be seen in the picture stay on, while all four orange/red LED lights starts blinking.

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

HI CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for your update.

Since you are unable to access BMC and gather debug logs, please share with us sysinfo logs for us to check further.

Link User Guide for Intel System Information Retrieval Utility (Sysinfo):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023940/server-products/server-boards.html

Regards,

Fikri

0 Kudos
CeteexBusiness

Sure! Is it possible to send the logs in a private message again?

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hello CeteexBusiness,

Thank you for your response.

We have sent an email to you. You may reply back to the email and share the logs. However, please confirm if the system boots up when CPU1 is installed in slot2.

Additionally, as requested earlier, kindly provide us with a screenshot of the POST code error page (with POST code 21).

Awaiting your response.

Regards,

Simon

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos