Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

LUN scanning on RMS3CC080

MJohn2
Beginner

Does the RMS3CC080 (RAID controller) support LUN scanning for Autoloaders when connected thru an RES3FV288 expander? Stand-alone tape drives work fine, but the Autoloader is on LUN 1...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dkRIxp,

Normally for compatibility question, it will best recommend contacting the manufacturer of the device you want to connect.

None of our records shows LUN as a function on Intel RAID Controllers.

But I will check for you more deeply, also could you please provide me with the model number of the Autoloader that you will like to connect.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
MJohn2
Beginner

Thanks.

The autoloader is:

Overland Tape Autoloader OV-NEOSSL6SA.

Server is a R2312WTTYSR box running Windows Server 2016 Standard.

The autoloader's internal tape drive is visible and working on SCSI ID 21, LUN 0.

The autoloader is on the same ID, but on LUN 1.

Maybe there is a way to tell the RAID controller manually to look at LUN 1?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dkRIxp,

Thank you for the updated information.

I am still checking with engineering because none of the manuals mentions LUN as part of the configuration or support.

I've also double check with the manufacturer of the AutoLoader website and they normally don't recommend RAID Controllers because most of them do not support LUN.

I will continue to double check and I will get back with you soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dkRIxp,

My greatest apologies on the delays.

I've escalated the threat to our engineering department to ensure if the LUN is available on Intel RAID Controllers.

I will continue to double check and I will get back with you soon.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dkRIxp,

I will like to apologize for the long delay for an update.

According to our engineers, there is no support for tape drive from the MegaRAID side.

One thing that we can suggest, is to contact the tape drive vendor and ask them what LSI Host Bus Adapter (IT Firmware adapters, not MR Adapters) they have tested with their tape drives and version of the FW and drivers used.

If by any chance they have already done interop testing with an LSI SAS HBA (IT Firmware based adapter), they could send over a list, and or if the vendor was able to make this work.

With this information I will have engineering do some testing.

As is not supported by MegaRAID firmware on Coffee Canyon (regardless of the expander).

Recap: typically MegaRAID (LSI technology on which Intel RAID Adapters are based on) has never support tape drives; however, if you could contact the Tape Drive vendor (Overland/Tandberg) and ask for a list of compatible LSI/Avago Host Bus Adapters (HBA) that works or are compatible with their OV-NEOSSL6SA Autoloader then we can have our Engineers do some testing on a similar Intel product.

As it is right now, this is not possible with the RMS3CC080 regardless of the RES3FV288 expander card.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dkRIxp,

I will like to follow up on this threat.

Also, if you had the opportunity to gather the information to continue helping you, or if the information provided answered your question.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
MJohn2
Beginner

Thanks for your research. We were hoping to avoid adding another PCIe card to the box, but have installed our old HighPoint RocketRAID 2711 which works fine with the autoloader.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dkRIxp,

I imagine that you were trying to save resources and not use another PCI card. I am sorry and I wish the outcome could had been different.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dkRIxp,

I will proceed with closing the threat.

If you had any additional problems please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos