Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Matrix RAID Controller

CIvic
Beginner

I have an issue with 2 servers. They are both running S3210SH boards and Matrix RAID (v7.8.1013). I have updated the BIOS on the servers to the latest release. Both have identical 2x1 TB server drives in each of them.

When I go to the RAID console to create my RAID volume there are 2 issues. If I go the the wizard to create RAID volume from existing drive, it goes through the wizard and I pick my drives but at the end when I hit "next" nothing happens, it just does not go to "finish". Also there is no option for create recovery drive.

I have created RAID volumes with the console many times before on other servers with no issues at all and now have the same issue on 2 different servers.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Are you trying to creat a mirror, from a single source drive? You probably want to follow the RAID Migration example in chapter 8 (page 33) of the user guide at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-020670.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-020670.htm

0 Kudos
CIvic
Beginner

The console does not give me that option. I am running 7.8.1012 not 8.x. For the s3210SH it shows that is the most recent version. I am trying to create a RAID 1 from existing disk butit will not complete the wizard. Done this many times with other servers with never an issue. Now have same issue on 2 servers. The RAID console shows al my drives buit will not complete the wizard to create from existing drive. It also does not give me the option for creating a recovery disk. Wierd.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Hmm. I have seen this fail when I had two drives with mismatched firmware (one 001, one 005). What hard drives and firmware is the utility showing on your systems?

0 Kudos
CIvic
Beginner

All drives showing same firmware 01.01v01. They were all purchased at the same time. I can post some screenshots of what is happening if that would help. Again, I have never seen this issue. It has me baffled.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

That is odd. Have you double-checked to make sure the drive manufacturer and model is on the Tested Hardware List for the motherboard (or RAID controller) that you're plugged in to? Maybe it's a weird timing issue with the drive commands.

0 Kudos
CIvic
Beginner

Yep, very odd. These are WD RE4 Enterprise drives. I have another server up and running using Intel Marix RAID on these exact same drives.

0 Kudos