Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4297 Discussions

Matrix RAID Controller

CIvic
Beginner

I have an issue with 2 servers. They are both running S3210SH boards and Matrix RAID (v7.8.1013). I have updated the BIOS on the servers to the latest release. Both have identical 2x1 TB server drives in each of them.

When I go to the RAID console to create my RAID volume there are 2 issues. If I go the the wizard to create RAID volume from existing drive, it goes through the wizard and I pick my drives but at the end when I hit "next" nothing happens, it just does not go to "finish". Also there is no option for create recovery drive.

I have created RAID volumes with the console many times before on other servers with no issues at all and now have the same issue on 2 different servers.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Are you trying to creat a mirror, from a single source drive? You probably want to follow the RAID Migration example in chapter 8 (page 33) of the user guide at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-020670.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-020670.htm

CIvic
Beginner

The console does not give me that option. I am running 7.8.1012 not 8.x. For the s3210SH it shows that is the most recent version. I am trying to create a RAID 1 from existing disk butit will not complete the wizard. Done this many times with other servers with never an issue. Now have same issue on 2 servers. The RAID console shows al my drives buit will not complete the wizard to create from existing drive. It also does not give me the option for creating a recovery disk. Wierd.

Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Hmm. I have seen this fail when I had two drives with mismatched firmware (one 001, one 005). What hard drives and firmware is the utility showing on your systems?

CIvic
Beginner

All drives showing same firmware 01.01v01. They were all purchased at the same time. I can post some screenshots of what is happening if that would help. Again, I have never seen this issue. It has me baffled.

Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

That is odd. Have you double-checked to make sure the drive manufacturer and model is on the Tested Hardware List for the motherboard (or RAID controller) that you're plugged in to? Maybe it's a weird timing issue with the drive commands.

CIvic
Beginner

Yep, very odd. These are WD RE4 Enterprise drives. I have another server up and running using Intel Marix RAID on these exact same drives.