Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

Problem with Intel RAID Controller RS3UC080

SJimm
Beginner

I have an RSCUC080 RAID Controller card and the arrays connected to this controller randomly disappear from the system. The arrays usually reappear after rebooting the machine, but every once in a while they do not and I have to reboot multiple times. This usually happens at least once a day and has been going on for several weeks. I did not have this problem the first several week I had this card. The controller card is still under warranty, but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions about what the problem could be before submitting a warranty claim.

I have the latest BIOS and firmware for all the components below including the RS3UC080.

Thanks,

Shane

SYSTEM

Case: NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis w/ 20 Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays (currently using 11 drive bays)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell

Memory: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport (PC3 10600)

Graphics: MSI R7 265 2GD5 OC 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5

RAID Controller 1: Onboard

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB

Array: RAID 10 using four 3GB SATA 6 hard drives (it is using a mixture of desktop and NAS drives and there are no issues with this array)

RAID Controller 2: RSCUC080 (both of the following arrays randomly disappear)

Array 1: RAID 0 using three 1 TB hard drives (these are all 3 Gbps, desktop drives)

Array 2: RAID 10 using four 3 TB SATA 6 hard drives (all HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB 7200 RPM 6 Gbps)

2 - PCI TV Tuner Cards

1 - PCI Express TV Tuner Card

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 (1300W Gold Power Supply)

3 - SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan

2 - SilenX EFX-08-15 80mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan

Windows 8.1 Update 1 with Media Center

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I would see if there is any settings in BIOS to wait for each HDDs to spin up and POST. Also although you have a 1300W PSU, if 10 drives spin up at the same time, the overall current may still exceed limit. Does your backplane support spinning up the drives one by one?

SJimm
Beginner

The main problem I have is the arrays disappearing after the OS has booted and has been running for a while. I don't typically have an issue with the arrays immediately after a reboot although I have seen this at least once. I will have to check to see if the backplane supports spinning up the drives one by one and I will also check the BIOS settings tomorrow as you suggested.