Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

R2208GZ4GC / S2600GZ BIOS Update

idata
Employee

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a R2208GZ4GC server with a S2600GZ motherboard and I want to confirm the proper process to update the BIOS. Currently when I enter F2 BIos I see this:

SE5C600.86B.99.99.X069

and the latest that I found on the website is SE5C600.86B.02.06.0005.080320162159. They are different enough that I'm a bit cautious about flashing this until I get some confirmation. After reading the readme files the flashing process seems to be this:

BMC Firmware

BIOS

ME

FRU/SDR

NIC EPROM

My question about that is do I need to reboot after each step? Can I go directly back into the BIOS after the reboot for the next step? When I went into the EFI shell (just so I knew how to do it) i noticed it gave me a warning about running the Startup.nsh. I did not have the usb connected but I was worried that I should not let this run and follow the manual process (updateBMC.nsh, then flash32 /u /ni, biosfilename, etc...).

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

The EFI shell will automatically look for a file called Startup.nsh which will prompt you to accept and then will proceed to flash the BMC, ME, BIOS, etc...

The latest Firmware version is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26278/Intel-Server-Board-S2600GZ-GL-Firmware-Update-Package-for-Extensible-Firmware-Interface-EFI- Intel® Server Board S2600GZ/GL Firmware Update Package for Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI).

Additionally, it is normal for the Server to reboot several times while the Firmware update is in progress, please do not restart or turn off your server during this process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

The EFI shell will automatically look for a file called Startup.nsh which will prompt you to accept and then will proceed to flash the BMC, ME, BIOS, etc...

The latest Firmware version is https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26278/Intel-Server-Board-S2600GZ-GL-Firmware-Update-Package-for-Extensible-Firmware-Interface-EFI- Intel® Server Board S2600GZ/GL Firmware Update Package for Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI).

Additionally, it is normal for the Server to reboot several times while the Firmware update is in progress, please do not restart or turn off your server during this process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Caesar B.

AEib
Novice

Hello Nnayn,

Download a package from provided link in previous reply.

Unzip it. There should be a README.txt.

You can take a minute and read it.

There is plenty of usefull informations and instructions.

In general -> you can copy paste unziped files into root path of you a usb stick.

Power off your server. Plug the usb. Power on the server and hit F6 when promted.

In some cases you need to pick option EFI shell (make sure you have allowed EFI as boot option in bios).

Efi shell should automatically execute Startup.nsh when it is in root path / folder of the usb stick.

If it is not you have to go to directory where is the script and type -> Startup.nsh and press enter.

Then you should see update proces (maybe there will be required some addtional input).

When the update will be finished turn off the server and unplug the usb.

Then power on the server and let him finish the update process.

It will restart during this period.

That's it. Your firmware should be flashed to latest version

idata
Employee

Thank you for the info and your time! I really appreciate it.

idata
Employee

Update went well until the very last part. I was asking me if a system fan/chassis fan was installed and I tried entering "Y" and "yes" but it terminated that last part then asked me to reboot the server. I am also getting these very fast beeps (hard to tell the number or sequence) but they are not BIOS beeps (they come after the BIOS beeps). I know this b/c I had one stick of ram that wasn't seated all the way and I got the three long beeps (looked that up and it said memory) so I went through all 8 sticks and found a loose one. After reseating the first three beeps went away but I still have the faster beeps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

My apologize on the problems you have encounter on the BIOS update. My first question is if even with the beeps you are getting are you able to enter your operating system. I will recommend to reflash the BIOS and this time select "NO" to Chasis fan.

Also could you please enter the BIOS and verify if all the BIOS updates to ensure they read:
  • System BIOS- 02.06.0005
  • ME Firmware- 02.01.07.328
  • BMC Firmware - 01.27.9958

To do so please follow this steps:- Reboot the system- During POST, hit the Key when prompted to access the BIOS Setup Utility- Hit the F9 key to load BIOS Defaults- At the MAIN menu verify the BIOS revision is correct- Move cursor to the SERVER MANAGEMENT Menu- Move cursor down to the SYSTEM INFORMATION Option and hit Enter- Verify the BMC Firmware revision is correct- Verify the SDR revision is correct- Verify the ME Firmware revision is correct- Hit the F10 Key to save changes and Exit

If you have any question for the BIOS update please read the "Read Me (txt), https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26278/eng/S2600GZ_GL_Update_Instructions.txt https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26278/eng/S2600GZ_GL_Update_Instructions.txt.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
AEib
Novice

Hi Nnyan,

Just quick note -> 2-4 short beeps are related to bios recovery fail per specification.

Adrian

idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

Go ahead try to re-flash the BIOS and try to hear the beep sequence

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The beeping is so quick (or maybe my ears are too old) but I recorded it then slowed it down. It was 3 single beeps, a double beep then a single beep (BEEP......BEEP......BEEP......BEEP...BEEP......BEEP.

I also noticed that there are eight little LED like lights on the rear of the unit (between the USB ports and the 5th NIC). From the left (USB side amber): 1, 3, 4 are lit. The green only number 3 is lit up. As soon as I have some more time I'll try to reflash and then take screenshots as I go along.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add the following.

Booted into BIOS and loaded defaults.

BIOS: 02.06.0005

ME: 02.01.07.328

BMC: 01.27.9958

SDR: Package D1.05

In Error Manager I have: Error Code: 84FF (minor).

Description: Baseboard Management Event Log Full. (but no way to clear the log).

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

Basically, we need to a BIOS recovery with the below steps:

BIOS RECOVERY INSTRUCTIONS:

The Recovery process can be initiated by setting the recovery jumper

(called BIOS Recovery Boot Jumper).

A BIOS recovery can be accomplished from a USB Mass Storage device.

Please note that recovery from USB floppy is not supported on this platform.

The recovery media must contain the following files under the root directory:

1. RML.ROM

2. UEFI iFlash32 11.0 Build 8 or higher (including ipmi.efi )

3. *Rec.CAP

4. Startup.nsh

BIOS starts the recovery process by first loading and booting to the recovery

image file (RML.ROM) on the root directory of the recovery media (USB disk).

This process takes place before any video or console is available. Once the

system boots to this recovery image file, it will boot automatically into EFI

Shell to invoke the Startup.nsh script and start the flash update application

(IFlash32.efi). IFlash32.efi requires the supporting BIOS Capsule image file

(R02.06.0002Rec.CAP). After the update is complete, there will be a message displayed

stating that the "BIOS has been updated successfully" indicating the recovery

process is finished. The user should then power off the system and switch the

recovery jumper back to normal operation before starting the system.

The following steps demonstrate this recovery process:

1. Power OFF the system.

2. Insert recovery media.

3. Switch the recovery jumper. Details regarding the jumper ID and location

can be obtained from the Board EPS for that Platform.

4. Power ON the system.

5. The BIOS POST screen will appear displaying the progress and system

automatically boots to the EFI SHELL.

6. Startup.nsh file executes, and initiates the flash update (IFlash32.efi)

with new capsule file (R02.06.0005Rec.CAP). The regular IFlash message will be

displayed at the end of the process, once the flash update succeeds.

7. Power OFF the system by using the front panel button or the "reset -s"

EFI Shell command, and revert the recovery jumper position to

"normal operation".

8. Power ON the system.

9. Do *NOT* interrupt the BIOS POST during the first boot.

Let us know how it goes.

Adrian M

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok I followed the process to the letter. Had to remove the riser card to access the jumper.

Reset Jumper the powered on

Got 2 single beeps followed by the fast sequence of beeps.

The blue Server bootup splash screen displayed

starup.nsh ran and was 100%.

Ended up at the Shell> prompt.

Shut down, removed power cord and changed jumper.

Replaced riser card, plugged in power and turned on

got the fast sequence of beeps

server booted up (did not touch or interrupt in any way)

I did this twice just to make sure and I'm still getting the quick beeps. It does complete the boot and boots into ESXi and ProxMox (on different USB sticks). Is this something that can be ignored or needs to be addressed? I no longer have the error in Error Manager.

0 Kudos
AEib
Novice

Hi Nnyan,

Sometimes beeps can belong to usb detection during post.

I would give a try to remove usb sticks from server and power it on.

It can be interesting whether the beeps sequence will change ... but I am not sure about this.

Regards

Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was really hoping. I removed all USB devices and even the boot SSD. tried it with minimal ram and still the beeps. I was able to install the latest ESXi 6.5.0a with no issues (onto a usb in the internal port) but once you reboot (and I've installed three times, the usb drive works fine on other servers) it's not recognized as a viable boot drive. I'll try a small SSD next

0 Kudos
AEib
Novice

Hello,

Did you check System Event Log?

Maybe there are some related errors which would help with debugging.

Regards

Adrian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

Feel free to do what "findmyname" adviced and just in case his post is below:

Did you check System Event Log?

Maybe there are some related errors which would help with debug.

Thanks,

Adrian
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't have an OS installed yet (Just ESXi 6.5). Would the errors be passed onto a window VM's event log? I'll try it anway.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

Please try that out and let us know your findings.

Regards,

Adrian M
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

I am just looking for an update for this case.

Regards,

Adrian M
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Rafael,

I am wondering if you had the time to try our recommendations.

Please share your findings.

Adrian M
0 Kudos