Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

R2308WFTZ and fan issues

CRoec1
Beginner

Hi experts,

we are having an issue with unusual high noise level of the fans of one R2308WFTZ Server System. For whatever reason the system fans seem to have a high rpm even if the system is not under load. They basically speed up at the boot of the unit and never deacrease (or increase).

The system events are showing following messages which may indicate a problem with the fans!?:

07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan 1 Present (# 0x40) Informational event: Fan 1 Present reports the device has been inserted or is present. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2754 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan 2 Present (# 0x41) Informational event: Fan 2 Present reports the device has been inserted or is present. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2755 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan 3 Present (# 0x42) Informational event: Fan 3 Present reports the device has been inserted or is present. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2756 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan 4 Present (# 0x43) Informational event: Fan 4 Present reports the device has been inserted or is present. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2757 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan 5 Present (# 0x44) Informational event: Fan 5 Present reports the device has been inserted or is present. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2758 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan 6 Present (# 0x45) Informational event: Fan 6 Present reports the device has been inserted or is present. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2759 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan Redundancy (# 0x0C) Warning event: Fan Redundancy reports Redundancy Lost: Entered any non-redundant state, including Nonredundant: Insufficient Resources . Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2760 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan Redundancy (# 0x0C) CRITICAL event: Fan Redundancy reports Non-redundant: Insufficient Resources, the unit is non-redundant and has insufficient resources to maintain normal operation. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2761 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan Redundancy (# 0x0C) Informational event: Fan Redundancy reports Fully Redundant: Indicates that full redundancy has been regained . Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2762 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan Redundancy (# 0x0C) Informational event: Fan Redundancy reports redundancy has been regained. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

2763 07/19/2018-08:51:01 Fan,Fan Redundancy (# 0x0C) Informational event: Fan Redundancy reports Non-redundant: Insufficient Resources, the unit is non-redundant and has sufficient resources to maintain normal operation. Integrated BMC - LUN# 0 (Channel# 0)

However all 6 fans are working normally (but with high rpm)...

What could be the issue? What can we do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Christian R.,

Thanks for joining the community.

This issue you describe is usual for fan failure or not properly installed. But if fans seems to work correctly and there are no amber/red LED on either any of the fans or the front of the server it is not usual. Could you please attach the following:

- Current BIOS version installed

- System logs gathered with Sysinfo tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27789/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Intel-Server-Systems-Based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27789/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Intel-Server-Systems-Based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset

We will look forward for this.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
CRoec1
Beginner

I ran the Sysinfo tool. Please see attached files.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Christian R.,

Thanks for the logs attached.

We are in the analysis process. Some of the temperatures show negative readings and fans RPMs are 7000+.

The current BIOS version shows to be 01.0009. There is a latest version available in the website which I think it would be worth to try. you can download it from this URL: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27632/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WF-Family-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27632/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WF-Family-BIOS-and-Firmware-Update-Package-for-UEFI-

Please give it a try and let us know.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Christian R.,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Christian R.,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
CRoec1
Beginner

Sorry for not answering. I was on vacation the last two weeks. I will check if the BIOS update helps at the beginning of the next week.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Christian R.,

Not a problem. We will wait for your updates.

Regards.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
CRoec1
Beginner

Did a BIOS update. Sadly I have to report that it does not help. Same issue still exists.

Please see attached (updated) logs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Christian R.,

I regret to hear the issue persist. After checking on the new logs we found that there seems to be an issue on fans 4 and 6. It reports redundancy lost on both fans. Could you physically check if there are any amber LEDs on any fan and if the issue persists or follows the fan after swapping them?

We will wait for you updates.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
Hello Christian R.,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue?

Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as resolved.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos
CRoec1
Beginner

I swapped the fans and the issue still exists. In addition I swapped all fans with fans of a working server unit and issue still exists.

So it seems that it is not a problem related to the fans.

Any additional suggestions ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Christian R.,

Thanks for the update. Since the issue seems to be related to the board fan headers probably the best available option will be to setup an RMA. For this purpose you will need to contact servers support during business hours. Go to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/1201/server-products.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/1201/server-products.html and scroll down to "contact support" link at the bottom.

I will proceed to mark this thread as closed.

Regards

Jose A.
0 Kudos