Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

R2312WTTYSR won't boot, no video, stopped at POST code "B7h" "Train DDR3 ranks"

jkuro
Novice

I have some R2312WTTYSR systems that, after some downtime prior to OS re-installation, won't come back up again (and so no OS re-installation)

Symptoms observed:

• No VGA video output
  • Rear System Status LED gets to a solid Green
  • Amber/Green Diagnostic LEDs stopped at [Amber]1011 [Green]0111, Code B7h for "Train DDR3 ranks"
  • We can access the IPMI/BMC interfaces remotely via their dedicated NICs

These are currently using BIOS 01.01.0015 and, I think, ME 03.01.03.021, BMC 01.41.9579, and FRUSDR 112. (yes, an ancient vintage, but it worked).

We've left these systems running after boot for about a week just to see if they'd do anything other than sit and "Train DDR3 ranks", but no progress.

We've accessed the BMC/IPMI interfaces and have found nothing of note other than reboot events showing up in SEL. We haven't seen anything vaguely resembling a console appear over the RMM4's remote KVM (though, for all I know, Java's messing with me me on the remote KVM part). At least, though, we can reset the systems remotely instead of going deaf standing at the workbench.

We've tried forced recovery of the BIOS and even the BMC and ME, but we just can't seem to get this group of systems to make it past "Train DDR3 ranks"

Any ideas? Is there some recovery procedure I've missed? A Technical Advisory?

--Jon (who has a similar but hopefully unrelated problem with an S1200SP system to ask about)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kenneth_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello JonKuroda,

Thanks for contact Intel Customer Support.

Based on the behavior described and the POST code the system is stopping at DXE (Driver eXecution Environment) Phase which pretty much covers memory and processor physical configuration.

please try the following actions:

1. Check the processor installation.
  2. Test with single processor if the system is configured as dual processors.
  3. Change or swap the processor with another compatible and working processor.
  4. Check the DIMM's (memory module) installation.
  5. Test with single DIMM if the system is configured as multi DIMMs.
  6. Change or swap the DIMMs to other validated DIMMs.
  7. Change or swap the motherboard with another compatible and working motherboard.

I look forward to the results, best regards.

Kenneth_Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JonKuroda,

This goes as a follow-up, I was wondering if you had the chance to check the troubleshooting provided and if there are any updates you may want to share, anyway I remain tuned to your comments

Kenneth_Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JonKuroda,

This goes as a follow-up, I was wondering if you had the chance to check the troubleshooting provided and if there are any updates you may want to share, anyway I remain tuned to your comments

Kenneth_Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JonKuroda,

Since we haven't heard back from you, we assume no further assistance is needed so the related conversation will be set as closed, anyway, if you have any question or concern in the future please let us know.

Kenneth_Intel
0 Kudos