Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

RS2SG244 RAID 6 with 12 Terabyte Helioseal WD Drives

VBrun3
Beginner

My server has 2 RAID 6 arrays, both RAID 6, 7 x 6tb Western Digital 6tb WD60EFRX Red SAN drives array & 16 4tb Western Digital WD4001FAEX Black Caviar Enterprise array.

I use an@ Intel S2600CP Motherboard with 2 x E5-2670 Oct Core CPUs & 64gig ECC RAM, running on Windows Server 2016. One of the 6tb drives requires replacement & I am inclined to replace the array with 6 tb drives with Western Digital WD121KRYZ Gold Helioseal 12 Terabyte drives.

Has anyone tried these 12tb drives or other 10tb 12tb or 14tb drives with this controller or Motherboard built in RAID system, or any info that points to why or why not these drives will work here? I don't want to buy these drives just to waste time/effort if NOT capable?

Regards,

Viv.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Viv,

First of all, I need to mention that CP boards are in an End Of Life Stage which means they are no longer being manufactured, hence, resources on these devices are quite limited.

With that said, checking on the validated drive list for the CP family these specific drives are not listed nor is any 12TB drive, this doesn't mean they won't work it means Intel does not endorse its usage since no positive testing has been conducted to confirm its functionality, I'm guessing due to the fact that these "higher capacities" of storage are quite more recent than the board family in question, I'm attaching this list in case you want to check it up.

Theoretically, if you are using onBoard raid solutions such as RSTE or ESRT2 you shouldn't have any problem as long long as the drives are 3GBs/6GBs SATAs which they are. However, I can't guarantee it based on the lack of testing mentioned before. With that in mind, if you can afford to get at least one of these drives and work it as RAID0 then change it to GPT from the OS, that will confirm compatibility from there, if it works you just need to get the additional drives and repeat the process with the desired Raid level in the other hand if it doesn't you're saving the hassle and the resources of going with the whole drive rotation. As well as, improving the collective knowledge of the community on this matter so it can be better addressed in future occasions.

I hope this answers to your question or at least gives you a starting point. Furthermore, I would like to ask if there is anything else I can do for you or if the related case can be set as closed?

Remember that this trend would remain active so other individuals from the community may have some input in to this as well.

In any case I'll stay tuned to your comments so we can proceed accordingly.

Regards,

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Viv,

I hope you enjoyed the holidays and also I would like to know if the information previously provided answered to your question or if further assistance is required, in any case please let me know so we can proceed accordingly.

I'll stay tuned to your comments.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos