Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

S2600CW2 board and LAN port failure

SAljoshin
New Contributor I

We have one server with S2600CW2 board and it has few issues with LAN port1:

When restarting server, BMC link fails for some period and then up again.

Using LAN port 1 not possible to do anything.

Have to use LAN2 and MGMT port to be able to do anything.

When trying to boot to PXE using LAN1 port, then it fails for many first attempts.

Can it be port 1 failure and need to change motherboard?

FW is the latest and greatest

Hope for hint and advice!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

Just to mention this board is already in a End of Life stage of support meaning that is no longer being manufactured, anyway, this kind of behavior is normally caused for either link, hardware or firmware issues.

To rule out Linking problems I need to ask, have you check the physical cables and connectors, may be tested with different cables?

For hardware, the diagnosis log may helps us out please find the utility in the next link, for step by step instructions on running the utility please check the release notes on the download:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26915/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Systems-Based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset

For firmware you mention is already updated but could you confirm the version is:

Version: 1.01.0022;1.50.10802 (Latest) Date: 7/6/2017

I'll stay tuned to your comments, best regards.

Ken
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

As the same cables are working with other ports we will try a new RMM key first and then another board.

There are also 2 other servers with the same board which are working fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

Thank you for your reply, once done with the testing please share with us your result so we can proceed accordinlgy

Best regard.

Ken
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello Ken,

RMM key and motherboard swap didn't fix the problem.

When mashine restarts BMC interface fails.

MBC port ping on the left and OS ping on the right. As you can see the is a gap in MBC ping and gap in OS ping (as should be when OS restarts)

Shuting down server, there is ~30 sec. hole in pings and ~1minute offline hole when server power up.

And when save changes in BIOs and power up, then 1 minute and 40 seconds hole in ping appears.

Latest FW is used also with new motherboard.

Sergei

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

During which stage of the booting process does it fail(while posting, on options prompt, during OS load up, when already in OS?

In case of corruption is always good to re-flash de system rom and then run the firmware update to bring it back to the latest, I'll details on the steps bellow.

After that it will be quite useful to get the sysinfo file, instructions at the end.

Once completed please share your results.

Ken.

System Rom backup.

1. Turn off the system.

2. For safety, remove the Alternating Current (AC) power cords.

3. Remove the system top cover.

4. Move the "BIOS Recovery" jumper from the default operating position (covering pins 1 and 2) to the BIOS Recovery position (covering pins 2 and 3). Check into the Technical Product Specifications document of your board if in doubt. (I attached the map for you)

5. Re-install the system top cover and re-attach the AC power cords.

6. Power on the system.

7. The system will automatically boot the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) shell. Hence, update the BIOS using the standard BIOS update (instructions bellow).

8. After the BIOS update has successfully completed, power off the system. For safety, remove the AC power cords from the system.

9. Remove the system top cover.

10. Move the "BIOS Recovery" jumper back to the default operating position (covering pins 1 and 2).

11. Re-install the system top cover and re-attach the AC power cords.

12. Power on the system and access the BIOS Setup utility.

13. Configure the desired, customized BIOS settings.

14. Hit the key to save and exit the utility.

Firmware Update

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26920/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CW-Firmware-Update-Package-for-EFI?product=83027 firmware package

2. Extract the downloaded firmware. Once extracted, the files are in a folder.

3. Format a USB flash drive in FAT32.

4. Copy all the files inside the extracted folder, and then paste the files in the root directory of the USB flash drive, without creating a folder.

5. Start the system and press F6 repeatedly to enter boot options.

6. After you see boot options, connect the USB flash drive and click Internal EFI Shell, and press any key to start the update.

7. After the firmware update starts, after the update of opcode area, you are prompted to select any of the three functions in the following list:

8. Only FRU Repository

9. Only SDR Repository

10. Both FRU and SDR Repository

11. Clicking the third option prompts you to provide information about the chassis. Providing chassis information is optional. You can select No to skip the process.

12. You are asked if the chassis has intrusion. Select N (in case of a third-party chassis, which does not have this feature).

13. After the firmware is updated, the process is completed. Remove the USB flash drive and restart the server.

14. After the restart, open the BIOS to confirm the new firmware version.

15. Repite the update process withhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%28R%29+Remote+Management+Module+2 RMM firmware.

Log generation:

You will need USB flash drive formatted as FAT32.

1. Please download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26915/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-for-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Systems-based-on-Intel-62X-Chipset Sysinfo utility, extract the contents of the package into the root of the flash drive (not into a folder).

2. Boot into Internal EFI Shell (with the Thumb drive connected to the server), get into the flash drive with the command "FS0: + enter" and run the sysinfo.efi file for the utility to start. (FS) may change depending on what USB port is being used,, try with FS1, FS2 or change the USB port if needed.

Once the utility complete its process, it will copy the log file on your flash drive.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

I was wondering if you have had the chance to review the information provided previously and were the results or of the assistance is no longer needed. Either way please le u sknow so we can proceed accordingly.

Ken
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

We still didn't have an opportunity to visit that customer, but we will do it this week and I will inform about results.

Sergei

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the update, I'll keep an eye on this, if you have any update please let me know.

Ken
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Yesterday we did firmware update in recovery mode. Unfortunatelly it didn't help.

At the moment we have motherboard and RMM module changed and FW flashed in recovery mode. None of them helped.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, thanks for the update,

Could please run the system log and send it over.

Log generation:

You will need USB flash drive formatted as FAT32.

Please download the Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS.zip package, extract the contents of the Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS\Sysinfo_V14_0_Build12_AllOS\UEFIfolder into the root of the flash drive (not into a folder).

Boot into Internal EFI Shell (with the Thumb drive connected to the server), get into the flash drive with the command "FS0: + enter" and run the sysinfo.efi file for the utility to start. (FS) may change depending on what USB port is being used,, try with FS1, FS2 or change the USB port if needed.

Once the utility complete its process, it will copy the log file on your flash drive.

Ken
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I was wondering if have had the chance to run the diagnostic script on your system, if so please share the results with us in order to continue troubleshooting.

Ken.
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Hello,

I provided information to customer, but no feedback yet.

In addition, I can say, that we assembled identical server in our lab - and all works fine, only few pinf pocket failes when server restarts, which is normal.

I will ask customer again about logs.

will keep you in touch, but it takes time.

Sergei

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergei,

Thanks for the update, I will keep tuned to your comments, just to mention I'll be following up once week just to keep the tread going, if there is any kind of update, please let me know.

Ken
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SergeiAljoshin,

Just to follow up on this case, I was wondering if there are any updates from your side, if so please share them with us in order to proceed accordingly. I would also like to mention that if you some more time with this we could temporarily close the trend and once you're ready to continue to re-open it and continue to work on it.

In any case I'll stay tuned to your comments.

Ken
0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Still no reply from custome, I will push again.

Sergei

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Files attached.

0 Kudos
SAljoshin
New Contributor I

Any succes with these files? If there additional information needed, please let me know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Serjei

I reviewed the files and can't see anything wrong in there, I do see the reeboots and the links down after rebooting and then back up after a few seconds, however, that's an expected behavior at least for the RMM (suming static IP are used), now, If the period of time is much longer than expected and considering the failure in LAN 1 the next logical step would be to replace the board, but there is also a chance for it to be related to the resource pooling in the server going out of space, this is something that could happen over time (specially in intense production environments) it would also explain why there are no failure entries in the logs you sent over and could be easily corrected by re flashing the system ROM.

So, if you want to save the part replacement (if possible) run the flashing just bear in mind that this will need physical access to the device to document the BIOS settings run the data back up and perform the flashing itself, which could be quite time consuming, once done run the tests and monitor the behavior, then depending on the results you may need to replace the board. In the other hand considering we have discarded environmental issues like networking, cabling and so on, if you're on a schedule and can afford the replacement as it is, you can safely go for it,

I hope this helps, if you're interested in running the re flash I'll attach the instructions, looking forward to your feedback, if you have any further question or concern up to this point please let me know.

Ken.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sergei,

Based on your last update I see BMC is having some delay which is to some extent expected after rebooting, however, I forgot to ask about LAN1 are there any changes in there after the troubleshoot performed previosuly?

Ken
0 Kudos