Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600STB LAN Ports

RMoor2
Beginner

There are 3 LAN ports on this server board as baseboard LAN 1, baseboard LAN2 and Dedicated BMC LAN. In the BIOS Setup Utility if you go to Server Management->BMC LAN Configuration you can see Baseboard Lan and Dedicated Management Lan configurations. But there is only one Baseboard LAN referenced. Why is the Baseboard LAN port 2 missing from ths screen? Is there documentation that describes this? In the BIOS Setup Utility doc the Baseboard LAN and Dedicated Management LAN are shown. In Intel Server Board S2600ST Product Family Technical Product Specification ports 1 and 2 are referenced in the BIOS Setup Utility (6.4.1) but I couldn't find this myself in the BIOS Setup Utility.

Some of my users have concluded that this means Port 1 and Port 2 are shared when in actuality Port 1 is shared with the BMC and Port 2 is shared with the BMC, effectively giving 3 LAN ports with access to the BMC and 2 available to the OS.

Thanks for any assistance.

BobM

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

Thank you for contacting Customer Support for Intel® Products.

Both ports should be working normally. One question, when you connect an active cable to the LAN Port 2 do you get any light activity.

Try one port at a time.

I going to check with a similar system we have for additional information.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
RMoor2
Beginner

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the response. Both baseboard LAN ports are working and they function per my understanding. But we have some users here that are contending that ports 1 and 2 are shared "with each other" and not each with the BMC as functionally can be demonstrated. I was looking for Intel doc that explains why port 2 doesn't show up in the BIOS setup utility, only a baseboard LAN port. This can be demonstrated to be port 1. But why isn't port 2 configurable from the BIOS. Instead it can only be configured (for DHCP for example) in ipmitool from the OS.

I don't think anything is wrong with any of this but would like to see Intel documentation that describes the missing port 2 from the BIOS setup utility.

I hope this clarifies my question.

Thank again.

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

I will check and see if we some documentation with that information. Please allow me some time and I will get back with you.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
FSmi
Beginner

The 3rd port is for the optional Server Management with the Advanced server management via Intel® RMM4 Lite (accessory option)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

Yes, the LAN port between the USB ports is the Dedicated Management port, is also used for the BMC and RMM4. I am still trying to get you more information on BIOS and the LAN ports.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

My apologies for the delays, but I am still not able to find any documentation with the information you need. I am including Engineering to see if they have something we can use

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

I am still working with higher level to get some documentation. But I got some information that the reason why is not showing on the BIOS is because is not manageable. I am going to continue searching on this for you.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

I am afraid there are no documents with the information request. Also, there is no information if is going to be added to any other revision.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

The only ports that can be used for management (BMC level) on any Intel Server Board is NIC1 and a dedicated management port or RMM4 extra NIC can be used for this matter.

NIC2 has never been available for management therefore it won't show at BIOS level for management purposes..

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
RMoor2
Beginner

Henry A.

Thanks for your responses. I think this last update says it all. NIC2 was never available before and so the BIOS doesn't support configuration.

We can close this issue.

Thanks again.

Bob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

Tha is correct the NIC2 has never been available for management, therefore, it won't show at BIOS level for management purposes..

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

I hope you are well. I just will like to follow on the topic and see if there is anything I can help you with or if it is ok to close the topic.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BobMoore55,

I haven't heard back from you on the topic.

I'm going to proceed and close the topic if you require any additional help we can open a new topic and refer to this one.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos