Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S3420GPV RAM options (very confused)

SBail4
Novice

I've been looking to build a server and I have an S3420GPV which I want to use, however the RAM requirements are extremely confusing for me. On the technical document, it says no support for x4 or x16 RDIMMS, and no support for Low Voltage DIMMS. It also says that for 16GB RAM you want quad rank 4GB DIMMS but it gives support for 6x4GB Dual Rank DIMMS if you want 24GB RAM (Obviously not possible in the V as it has 2 slots per channel) however that leads me to believe that it should work with 4x 4GB dual rank DIMMS.

This is conflicted when I go to the supported hardware though. Most of the 4GB DIMMS listed there are 2Rx4 DIMMS, and some are even 1.35V (low voltage). So now I have absolutely no idea what to believe.

For example - KVR1333D3D4R9S/4GI

It's in the supported hardware list for my motherboard, however kingston say it uses 512MB blocks. The TPS for the motherboard says it does not support 256/512MB technology.

I know this product's support ended years ago but I'd have thought is someone might be able to explain things, I might find them here. I've even found documentation that states registered memory isn't supported in the V variant but I do not believe this is true.

1 Solution
SBail4
Novice

I'm finally happy with what I have, without much help from intel or the product sheets. There is a lot of conflicting information in the documents for this specific model of motherboard, some of it is just plain wrong and it's pretty annoying, being a beginner with building server equipment (I'm quite adept at consumer grade computers). It's not that different but there are some things you have to be careful of in the land of servers, and for this motherboard it is RAM.

I bought 16GB kit of HMT351R7CFR8C-PB off eBay. It matches the specification I can find for this motherboard, popped it in and it works. All 16GB are shown in the BIOS and in ESXi.

Some things I want to note about the TPS. All of my RAM comes up as 1333MHz in the BIOS. In the TPS it says that if two or more dual channel DIMMS are in used in one channel (both of my channels have 2x Dual channel DIMMS), the RAM will work at 1066MHz, obviously not the case because my BIOS says 1333MHz. It also says later on in the TPS that 4x 4GB RDIMMS will work at 1333MHz in the table on page 24. Some of the RAM in the certified hardware does not match the requirements on the TPS, as I have previously said. To me, it wasn't very clear looking at the TPS if 16GB of dual rank memory would work in the V variant, I can confirm that it does.

My little guide to people wanting to buy memory for this board (I can only confirm for the V variant but I'd guess they're all the same):

Depending on the amount of RAM you will be looking for different specification. My S3420GPV board has only 4 RAM slots and it says that it needs 4x 4GB DIMMS. So for that, you are looking for RAM that is Dual Rank, has 2Gb chips (2Rx8 is the notation for that. It can usually be seen on the sticker on the RAM). It needs to be 1.5V, so no low voltage DIMMS. You will want to get the maximum frequency the board will support, my RAM is PC3 - 12800R (1600MHz). I checked my RAMs product sheet before I bought it and the lowest this RAM supports is 1066MHz, which is fine.

If you have one of the other S3420GP's and are looking for 32GB of RAM, you will NEED QUAD RANK. That looks like this - 4Rx8.

If it doesn't say on the labels, counting the chips could work. My DIMMS have a total of 19 chips. Take off one for the register, that's 18 memory chips. My RAM (I think all registered RAM has this) has 2 of those chips for redundancy, so that leaves me with 16 chips. It's a 4GB stick, that's 32 gigabits. 32 gigabits / 16 chips is 2 gigabits per chip, so it's the right hand column of page 24, lower table.

Maybe its not as complicated as I'm making it out to be but to me it wasn't very clear with all the contradictions in the specification and certified hardware lists.

Hope this helps someone.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
idata
Employee

HelloSamwell ,

I am sorry to hear there is confusing information about the supported memory for Intel S3420GPV. However, you could refer to where we provide an answer to your inquiry and the maximum memory tested for 32 GB configuration.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Caesar B.
SBail4
Novice

Hi

Thanks but I still don't really understand what I'm looking for, at the moment my only option is to buy RAM and see if it works, if not, see if I can return it. I have the V variant which means I'm stuck with a max of 16GB of RAM.

I understand that 2R means dual rank and x8 has something to do with the number of chips used per rank. What I don't understand is the 256/512Mb technology part. How do I work out which size chips are being used on the DIMM? I've ordered a mt18jdf51272pdz-1g4d1ad (4GB RDIMM, ECC, 1.5V, 2Rx8. It has what looks like 9 memory chips on the front but I can't see the back). I'm not sure what specifications I need for it to have the best chance of working. It's a 4GB DIMM and it's 2Rx8 but I don't know how to check if it uses 2Gb chips or not.

What I also don't understand is why are there x4 RDIMMS on the compatible hardware list if in the TPS they aren't supported?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there!

the 256/512Mb technology refers to the NOR Flash Memory which is used to store configuration data. I am not sure, at least I don't think, most vendors are including this in the product description when buying memory.

Keep in mind that depending on the processor you have you could use Registered memory instead (Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor 3400 series only).

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the x4 RDIMMS listed in thehttp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/000005727.html validated hardware list. I will share your feedback with our content managers.
0 Kudos
SBail4
Novice

Hi

Ah ok, is there any way I might be able to tell from the number of chips? I'd have presumed that the more chips there are for a given size DIMM, the smaller the chips would be.

I am going to use RDIMMs, that's what these questions are about.

No problem, does this mean that the hardware list is at fault or the TPS? (I ask because x4 RAM seems to be a lot cheaper than x8)

Thanks

idata
Employee

Hello Samwell ,

This is the memory other customers have tested: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002O3FLZU/ref%3Doh_details_o03_s00_i00 http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002O3FLZU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00 and reported to be working fine.

Best regards,

Caesar B.
SBail4
Novice

The RAM I ordered came today (mt18jdf51272pdz-1g4d1ad), I popped it into the motherboard, booted it and it didn't complain at all. I don't have anything installed on it so I could only go around the BIOS but it seemed just fine and everything was being reported there as it should be. I still need another 12GB of RAM however. I'm going to continue my search for 2Rx8 4GB 1.5V RDIMMs.

idata
Employee

Hello Samwell ,

We are glad to hear the RAM you ordered (mt18jdf51272pdz-1g4d1ad) worked fine for you. We hope this information helps other users in the communities.

Best regards,

Caesar B
SBail4
Novice

Hi

Will that work in the S3420GPV? It says in the document that the maximum supported is 4x 4GB DIMMS for 16GB, due to missing some kind of chip. Will two 8GBs still work?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

That is correct, in order to have 16GB we need to install 4x 4GB DIMMS,
0 Kudos
SBail4
Novice

I'm finally happy with what I have, without much help from intel or the product sheets. There is a lot of conflicting information in the documents for this specific model of motherboard, some of it is just plain wrong and it's pretty annoying, being a beginner with building server equipment (I'm quite adept at consumer grade computers). It's not that different but there are some things you have to be careful of in the land of servers, and for this motherboard it is RAM.

I bought 16GB kit of HMT351R7CFR8C-PB off eBay. It matches the specification I can find for this motherboard, popped it in and it works. All 16GB are shown in the BIOS and in ESXi.

Some things I want to note about the TPS. All of my RAM comes up as 1333MHz in the BIOS. In the TPS it says that if two or more dual channel DIMMS are in used in one channel (both of my channels have 2x Dual channel DIMMS), the RAM will work at 1066MHz, obviously not the case because my BIOS says 1333MHz. It also says later on in the TPS that 4x 4GB RDIMMS will work at 1333MHz in the table on page 24. Some of the RAM in the certified hardware does not match the requirements on the TPS, as I have previously said. To me, it wasn't very clear looking at the TPS if 16GB of dual rank memory would work in the V variant, I can confirm that it does.

My little guide to people wanting to buy memory for this board (I can only confirm for the V variant but I'd guess they're all the same):

Depending on the amount of RAM you will be looking for different specification. My S3420GPV board has only 4 RAM slots and it says that it needs 4x 4GB DIMMS. So for that, you are looking for RAM that is Dual Rank, has 2Gb chips (2Rx8 is the notation for that. It can usually be seen on the sticker on the RAM). It needs to be 1.5V, so no low voltage DIMMS. You will want to get the maximum frequency the board will support, my RAM is PC3 - 12800R (1600MHz). I checked my RAMs product sheet before I bought it and the lowest this RAM supports is 1066MHz, which is fine.

If you have one of the other S3420GP's and are looking for 32GB of RAM, you will NEED QUAD RANK. That looks like this - 4Rx8.

If it doesn't say on the labels, counting the chips could work. My DIMMS have a total of 19 chips. Take off one for the register, that's 18 memory chips. My RAM (I think all registered RAM has this) has 2 of those chips for redundancy, so that leaves me with 16 chips. It's a 4GB stick, that's 32 gigabits. 32 gigabits / 16 chips is 2 gigabits per chip, so it's the right hand column of page 24, lower table.

Maybe its not as complicated as I'm making it out to be but to me it wasn't very clear with all the contradictions in the specification and certified hardware lists.

Hope this helps someone.