I haven't built my own server before, but after having trouble finding one that offers the p4800x as a boot drive, I'm going to build my own. I was hoping I could get some help with components that are compatible with the drive. Here are the specs I need:
-1U rack chassis
-Single CPU at 3.5ghz or greater
All other components that are compatible with the above will easily exceed my requirements.
A couple of questions:
1. It was easy to find compatibility info for desktop CPUs and boards to go with the optane 900p ssd. Any recommendations for chassis/CPU/boards that work with the 4800x and meet the modest requirements above with way overshooting the mark?
2. Looking at the endurance numbers, I'll never come close to challenging the 900p. Would it be ill-advised to substitue the 900p in for the 4800x to cut costs? I'm assuming doing so wouldn't change compatibility with the answers to # 1.
Appreciate any guidance. Thank you.
Compatible 1U Server boards with Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X.
The Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X drives were tested with Intel® dual socket Server motherboards only. In the case of the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P was intended for desktop motherboards only, Intel engineers did not test with server boards.
Dual socket motherboards exceed 16GB of RAM and you can get processors with a similar speed. Bear in mind Intel® Xeon processors are intended for multitasking; i7 processors are better for gaming purposes.
I suggest you use our website: ark.intel.com to get the compatible motherboards and Intel® systems. Type the model of the SSD in the Search Specifications white box on the upper right corner, the new window shows the specifications of the SSD. Chose the Compatible Products blue option on the left side menu.
The Intel® server motherboard or server system provides with the compatible processors. The processors give memory requirements.
As an example, I am sending you the specifications of the https://ark.intel.com/products/97164/Intel-Optane-SSD-DC-P4800X-Series-750GB-12-Height-PCIe-x4-20nm-... Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X, 750GB, 1/2 Height PCIe x4, 20nm, 3D XPoint.
I hope my answer helps you to build your server system.
Very helpful, thanks Miguel. One follow up question for you. Under the FAQ for using the 900p as a boot drive it states the following:
The requirements for using the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series as a boot drive are:
- PCIe* NVMe* storage-capable hardware motherboard support. Consult your system or motherboard vendor for more informa
- Add-in card (AiC) form factor: PCIe 3.0 x4 connector (best performance)
- 2.5 inch form factor:
- U.2 Cable for connection to the SSD
- PCIe-capable SFF-8643 connector or a PCIe-capable M.2 connector
That seems to suggest that the AIC set up will deliver better drive performance that the 2.5inch. Is that correct? If so, does the same hold true for the p4800x?
The Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X 2.5" Series have interface PCIe x 4 with form factor U.2; it means the performance of both models is the same.
The link attached compares the specs of the NVMe drives with both form factors.
https://ark.intel.com/compare/97154,97164 Compare Intel® Products