Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

What are the minimal connections needed for the A2UREARHSDK2 with a full bay of harddrives?

RKell15
Beginner

R2308WFTZSR chassis.

A2UREARHSDK2 -- With 2 SSDSC2KB480G8 drives

HD Bay: 8 Western Digital 8TB Purple Drives

When I used all the plugs off the A2UREARHSDK2 cage, I2C, GPIO, Sata, Power, and power on the machine I get a 1-5-4-2 beep code. If I unplug all the connections on the A2UREARHSDK2 and power on it POSTS just fine.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi RKell15 ,

Thank you for contacting Intel Server Community.

I was reviewing the information on this server system and I would like to ask some important details:

1. Is this the first time you are trying to accomplish this configuration?
  2. Could you please so kind and provide me with more details about the drive bays on your system.
  3. How do you have to configure the hard drives and drive bays on your system? Which connections are you using for each of the drive bays?

I will be waiting for the outcome in order to proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
RKell15
Beginner

Hi Emeth,

Yes this is the first time I am attempting to build this exact configuration.

The 8 - 3.5" Western Digital 8TB Purple drives, are installed into the front hard drive bay. The Multiport SAS HD connectors from these drives are plugged into an Intel RS3DC080 RAID Controller card. (see pictures below)

The partnumber on the backplane for the front HD Bay is PBA-G97160-372.

There is a stamped number on the A2UREARHSDK2, it is H18232-004.

The Serial Number for the A2UREARHSDK2 part is:BQWT93300158

This is a picture of the drive used in the A2UREARHSDK2 cage:A2UREARHSDK2_Drives.jpgChassis_Sticker.jpgThe picture below is how it currently is connected. Note the GPIO and I2C cables are NOT connected, but the SATA and Power are. This current config will not POST. I get 4 Flashing MSB and 3 solid LSB, the least significant bit is OFF on the LSB lights.

R2308WFTZSR_A2UREARHSDK2.jpg

Intel RAID Contoller Card:

RAIDController.PNG

And I have 2 of these CPUs installed:

CPU.png

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi RKell15,

Thank you so much for the information provided.

I would like to confirm this information and configuration you have on this system.

You have an Intel® Server System (R2308WFTZSR), this server system includes a 12Gb SAS backplane where you have inside 8 hard drives x of 8TB Purple WD Drives. Now, you would like to add another drive bay, this drive bay you are trying to add is the (2U Rear Hot-swap Dual Drive Cage Upgrade Kit A2UREARHSDK2) which is comparable with the server system and as an addition, you have 2 x Intel SSDSC2KB480G8 drives.

You mentioned that when you plugged the A2UREARHSDK2 cage, I2C, GPIO, Sata, Power, and power on the machine you get a beep code. However, If you unplug all the connections on the A2UREARHSDK2 and power on it POSTS just fine.

1. Where are you connecting the A2UREARHSDK2 SATA cables? are you connecting the cable directly into the RAID Controller or directly into the server board?
  2. Where do you have to install the operating system?
  3. When you plugged the connections of the A2UREARHSDK2 is your system unable to access the BIOS as well?

I was reviewing the Intel® RAID Controller RS3DC080 and this RAID Controller supports 8 drives directly connected and supports up to 128 drives through expanders.

I will be waiting for your outcome in order to verify the information and proceed with the next step.

Have a wonderful day.

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
RKell15
Beginner
  1. As seen from the picture of the install. The light blue cables come from the A2UREARHSDK2 unit into the server boards SATA 4 and 5 connectors. This is per the integration guide I sent on a different question.
  2. The O/S will be installed onto the A2UREARHSDK2 unit.
  3. No. Whenever I have any I2C, GPIO, Or the Power cable from the A2UREARHSDK2 plugged in as prescribed in the documentation, it produces a 1-5-4-2 beep code. All the Orange MSB lights are lit, and 3 of the 4 LSB lights are lit. Its the "0" bit that is not lit up. (When I press the power button one time)
  4. I have built several units using the R2308WF chassis along with the RS3DC080 Raid contoller combo. Those always work fine.
  5. The current unit has BOTH PSU populated with the 1300W power supplies.

I have 2 of these servers with this configuration to build. This is to replace existing hardware that is in a degraded state. I need to get these units completed as soon as possible. Your promptness is appreciated, but I need to go a little faster.

Thanks Emeth,

RJ Kelly

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi RKell15,

Thank you for the information provided.

Please provide to me more time in order to investigate this beep code and issue you are facing, as soon as possible I will get back to you in order to proceed with the next step.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Rkell15,

As a best practice integration and since the OS is going to be installed in those two rear drives, you could have placed them on top of the air duct as fixed drives still connected to the internal SATA ports from the board (white ports)

Now, if you want to have the option of hot-swapping the OS drives, then the rear backplane is the option.

As far as the issue goes, let's make sure you are got cables connected properly based on the System Integration and Service Guide posted at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/R2000WF_SystemIntegration_and_ServiceGuide.pdf

The A2UREARHSDK installation guide starts on page 89, Section 3.10 and ends on page 91.

Also, could you please so kind and provide us the Sysinfo logs of the system?

Best regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
RKell15
Beginner

Emeth,

I need more tangible information about how this configuration is supposed to work. There is no further documentation I am able to find beyond the system integration guide. That guide was my direction(s) for how to connect this device to the chassis. Yes all those connections were made based on what the guide directed, down to matching the labels on the wires/connectors to the SVB/HSBP appropriately.

This system has not been fully built with an O/S yet, as I can not get the machine to successfully POST. Hence no sysinfo logs are able to be extracted. As stated previously, I have attempted to connect this with only SATA/Power cables and GPIO/I2C/Power and I get the same 1-5-4-2 beep code.

0 Kudos