Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

When can we expect server board firmware updates for the recent vulnerabilities?

CCale1
Beginner

Unless I am just not searching your support site properly, I have not been able to find any server firmware updates to address the microcode updates for Meltdown or Spectre or even any notification of a time line. I have a few Intel server that are hosting virtualized environments and would like to see these patched as all of my other server vendors have already delivered these updates.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello CFairchild,

Regarding your question, "When can we expect server board firmware updates for the recent vulnerabilities? ".

Intel and other companies have begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits. At this moment we are recommending users and systems administrators should check with their operating system vendors and system manufacturers, and apply any available updates as soon as practical.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
CCale1
Beginner

As mentioned in the original question, they are Intel servers (for example my R2312WTTYSR systems), thus you are the system manufacturer. All my other vendors at least have published time lines for BIOS releases for the few systems that have not yet been addressed, however I can not find any information for my Intel server systems on your site.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CFairchild,

I understand your question and wish I could provide your with an ETA or more details. But at this moment Intel is working hard to provide your with the best result. This is why we don't have an ETA because we are going to test it and until it passes proper process then we will release it.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
SBlitz
New Contributor II

Hi,

Look here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026622/server-products.html Intel-SA-00088 for Intel® Server Boards, Intel® Server Systems, and...

For up to date PCSD BIOSes updates.

Regards,

Saar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CFairchild,

Thank you for the updated information. This is an article that was released today (01/24/2017). Firmware not available at this moment and there is no ETA just yet.

I will check with engineering to see if there is an ETA on the release.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
CCale1
Beginner

Thank you all for the updates on the issue. I understand that since the initial posting of this question the original microcode release was retracted which is causing the delays. I appreciate the subsequent updates and wish you a timely resolution to the regression issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CFairchild,

Thank you for understanding and patience. I will do my best to communicate with you when there is a firmware release. But I will recommend keeping an eye on the same article will be the fastest way to get the information public.

I will check with engineering to see if there is an ETA on the release.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CFairchild,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

I truly apologize for all these inconveniences. In response to the recent Intel Security Advisory regarding Software/Side Channel Analysis, Kernel Memory Leak, Intel(R) has a validated firmware fix. Please check for more details https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026622/server-products.html here.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel(R) Technical Support

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi CFairchild,

I hope you are doing well today.

I'm following up with you to see if the information provided helped or if there is anything else we can help you. More than glad to continue assisting you.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello CFairchild,

I hope you are doing well today.

I have not heard back from you in regards to this issue. I will go ahead and close this case. If you need more assistance from us do not hesitate to contact us, more than glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Jeremiah A.

0 Kudos
SBlitz
New Contributor II

All BIOSes for all families were published online by now...

0 Kudos