Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Why can't the EXPI9402PT dual port adapter work in x1 slots?

idata
Employee

According to the PCI express standards, devices should work in x1 or x4 slots, assuming the x1 slot is cut, or a riser is used. Also, x1 slots support up to 250MB/sec, while dual gbit is 250MB/sec, so why does the EXPI9402PT server card specifically state its not supported in x1 slots? I dont want to buy one and try it just to find out theres a reason it doesn't work.

I know others have used video cards that are x8 or x16 in an x4 or x1, albeit at reduced bandwidth/performance. I can't find much info on Intels site, so hopeing someone here can answer (the reason is I have no more x16 slots on my board, and only x1s.)

thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The adapter will function in a cut down x1 slot or with a lane reducer, but throughput might be reduced. Do you have more than one x1 slot? You might want to consider using two single-port adapters like the http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/gigabit-ct/gigabit-ct-overview.htm Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter instead of a dual port adapter.

Mark H

0 Kudos