Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4877 Discussions

Xeon 4th/5th gen RAM compatibility

JeffS
Novice

I see some vendors saying that only XCC SKUs are compatible with 24gb,48gb,96gb DIMMS.  MCC SKUS cannot use DIMMS this size?

I cannot find many references on this (none on Intel sites), but I found on thinkmate I got an error message when configuring a system with 96gb DIMMS and an MCC SKU.

Here is a dell page that mentions it as well.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-sg/000221528/poweredge-r860-r960-pst0128-no-memory-found-error-displayed-during-post-with-ddr5-96gb-dimm-population#:~:text=According%20to%20Intel's%20specifications%20for,instead%20of%20an%20MCC%20CPU.

Questions

1. Where can I find a SKU list showing XCC/MCC? 
    1. I think I have seen anything over 32 cores is XCC.  Does this include the new max chips?
  2. If MCC does not support 96GB DIMMS.. why not? 
    1. MCC and XCC have the same number of memory controllers/channels  
    2. MCC and XCC both support 128GB DIMMS, 256GB DIMMS.....

I don't want to go to a higher core count chip (XCC) to get the RAM I should already be able to utilize.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffS
Novice

I guess the better question is what SKUs are compatible with 96GB RAM dimms.  Is there some way to tell on the intel website?

For instance the 8462Y+ is an XCC package based on what I can find.  Configurator on Dell and Thinkmate do not offer 96GB for it though...

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JeffS,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues or inquiries. I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JeffS
Novice

Any response here?  It seems based on dell configurator and r76 technical guide that 5th generation chips are compatible with 96GB dimms.  4th generation are not necessarily compatible.

0 Kudos
xunl
Beginner

Why DDR5 48G DIMM only support 1DPC in 5th Gen CPU ,is there any background info ? 

0 Kudos