Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4857 Discussions

Xeon 6403N unable to boost isolated processors' clock cycle

Rithea
Novice

Dear Community members and Intel suppots,

Goal: I want to maximize cpu clock cycle of the processors in a intel 6403N server running Ubuntu Server 22.04.3 LTS with realtime kernel  `5.15.0-1030-realtime`

I have already enabled the turbo boost as shown on the server's bios:

Rithea_0-1720571479538.png

Then after booting I tried to overclock by running this command
`cpupower frequency-set -d 3g -u 3g -g performance`

However, it seems did not work as shown below. Still stuck in base clock speed of 1900MHz.

Rithea_4-1720572772844.png

Could you kindly point out what are the possible missing steps?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
NormanS_Intel

Hello Rithea,

Thank you for posting in the community!

To ensure you receive the most specialized assistance, we have a dedicated forum that addresses these specific concerns. Therefore, I will be moving this discussion to our Server Forum. This will allow our knowledgeable community and experts to provide you with timely and accurate solutions.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi Rithea,

Thank you for reaching Intel Community.

We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding the reported issue. Kindly allow us some time to check further.

Regards,

FIkri

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi Rithea,

Good day.

Just wanted to confirm with you, that the CPU that you are using is a Tray CPU.

Would you be able to provide us what is the system that you are using? Is it from the Intel server system?

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Fikri

0 Kudos
Rithea
Novice

Hi Fikri,

Thanks for the follow up.

I got the server as a complete server system from a system integrator that use Intel CPU so I suppose it is a Tray CPU.

Kind regards,

Rithea

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hello Rithea,

Thank you for your response.

Would you be able to share with us why you wanted to boost the CPU clock?

Upon checking, Intel does not recommend overclocking the Xeon processor. You may find the article below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030611/processors/intel-xeon-processors.html#:~:text=Is%20overclocking%20possible%20with%20any%20Intel%C2%AE%20Xeon%C2%AE%20Processors%3F&text=Resolution-,Due%20to%20their%20robust%20architecture%2C%20overclocking%20isn%27t%20an%20option,of%20processor%20family%20is%20recommended.

Regards,

FIkri

0 Kudos
Rithea
Novice

Hi Fikri,

Thank you for the heads up and I understood the risk.

Would you be able to share with us why you wanted to boost the CPU clock?

The reason is due to processing unit required for 5G Baseband processing testing.

I have been using Intel(R) Xeon(R) D-2187NT CPU @ 2.00GHz for another 5G Baseband processing and it has been performing stably.

In that working system, the cpu status is as shown in the below screenshot: (max out to 3000MHz)

Rithea_0-1721198737906.png

So I just want to the same thing on the system with Intel(R) Xeon(R)  Intel Xeon Gold 6403N

Kind regards,

Rithea

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Rithea,

Greetings from Intel!

Thank you for your response. However we would like to inform you that Intel does not recommend overclocking the Xeon processor. You may find the article below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030611/processors/intel-xeon-processors.html#:~:text=Is%20overclocking%20possible%20with%20any%20Intel%C2%AE%20Xeon%C2%AE%20Processors%3F&text=Resolution-,Due%20to%20their%20robust%20architecture%2C%20overclocking%20isn%27t%20an%20option,of%20processor%20family%20is%20recommended.

Regards,  

Amina  

Intel Server Support  

Intel.com/vroc  

0 Kudos