Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646
4330 Discussions

Xeon for a database server

idata
Community Manager

Hi all, I'm speccing up for a new server, which will be exclusively used for a production database application.

My issue is that there are various Xeon groups, and I'm not enough experienced to make sure I spec the right one.

Am presently thinking that something like the X5680 would be the processor to go for, but this is a fair bit of money. Before those higher up the ladder ask me, I need to be sure whether there could be a less expensive processor which would happily do this job.

For instance the W3550 is a quadcore, over 3 GHz, but is less than 20% of the price.

I'm told hyper threading is not particularly necessary for this job. It is a Progress based database application. 4 or 6 core needed, at least 3 GHz. Server will have two processors.

Would anyone care to share their knowledge on this one ? Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee
idata
Community Manager

Many thanks, Edward @ Intel, it's appreciated.