Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

cable for RS3DC080 to SAS disks

PKean
Beginner

Hi,

I have a server with a RAID controller RS2BL080 which has died.

I purchased a RS3DC080 but now I need a different cable to connect to Controller card.

I have found two that might do the job, but I'm unsure

AXXCBL450HD7S

AXXCBL650HDMS

Can anybody confirm which one I should use.

Thanks for any help.

..Paul Kean

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TheGerm,

Thanks for joining the community.

Could you please attach the server board model, or chassis model, if you have a hdd backplane or if hdds are directly connected to the RAID controller please.

This in order to look for the correct Configuration Guide and provide you with the exact part number that you need.

Pretty much what you need is a SFF-8043 to SFF-8039 cable and the part numbers that you found are compatible for a couple of servers boards so I just want to make sure.

Regards

Jose A

0 Kudos
PKean
Beginner

Hi Jose,

The server is an ASUS Z10PE-D16 Series.and the disks are connected to the RAID controller.

The problem is that new controller (RS3DC080) has a very connector from the old RAID controller

and I just want to make sure I am buying the right cable.

Thanks for your help

..Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TheGerm,

If I am understanding correctly you are trying to connect SAS drives directly to the RAID controller. The issue is as follows. Both cables you found have 1 HD connector (SFF-8643) to a 4 SATA (SFF-8639) connectors or 1 MiniSAS connector

Cable AXXCBL450HD7S will allow you to connect the RAID controller directly to SATA drives only.

Cable AXXCBL650HDMS will allow you to connect the RAID controller to a SAS/SATA backplane

There are no HD to SAS cables manufactured by Intel. To accomplish this you will require a SAS/SATA backplane. You will probably find some 3rd party cables but Intel really don't recommend to use them since you might experience reliability issues.

For more info you could check the Intel RAID Controller cabling guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/c610_enclosure_cabling_guide_v11.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/c610_enclosure_cabling_guide_v11.pdf

Hope this helps

Jose A.
0 Kudos
PKean
Beginner

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your help and explanation. I checked the pdf you reference and I found the cable I need there.

Its a AXXCBL875HDMS.

The disks are connected to a back-plane. The unit holds 8 disks, although only three are installed. Each bank of 4 is connected to one back-plane, so there are two cables from the controller card, one for each back-plane

Regards

..Paul

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TheGerm,

I am glad to hear that you were able to get the information you were looking for.

I will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions please go ahead and create a new topic.

Jose A.
0 Kudos