Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

can i upgrade my cpu?

lgray2
Beginner

Hello, I have 2 Dell dimension XPS running XP PRO. Now that XP is being non supported and Microsoft is leaving it with a major problem with wuaucit.exe running in svchost I want to install windows 8. However, win 8 does not support my cpu because it does not have the execute disable bit. My cpu is a pentium 4, 3.2 GHZ, 800 MHZ, 512 KB cache. I am looking for new cpu and what do I do about the BIOS. i am also trying to find information about the mother board to see if I put a new cpu is it wire so that windows can access the bit. Everyone says I need to get new machines but these cost over $3,000 new plus the software. I also have a dell inspiron 8500. I thought a simple way to get around the svchost problem was to go to win 7 but the problem is in seven as well so I changed my browser to safari.

any help will be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Dell will have the list of what processors you can upgrade to. Fortunately, it looks like someone has already asked a similar question at http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19283926.aspx CPU Upgrade for Dimension XPS T450 - Desktop General Hardware Forum - Desktop - Dell Community

0 Kudos