Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4926 Discussions

forgot BMC password for S2600STB

André21
Beginner

Hi,
I forgot my BMC user password for an S2600STB mainboard. I cannot reset it using syscfg. The error message I get is "KCS Policy Control Mode is currently set to "RESTRICTED". "
There seems to be no jumper in the mainboard that would clear the BMC users. And when I go into the BIOS everything under user configuration is greyed out. There is mention of pressing F9 to reset to default, but it does not seem to work.

Is there a way I can reset the BMC user to defaults?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

André

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi André21,

Please try the steps below and see if it will work for you. Attached is the cmdtool.

1. Copy command tool files to the USB key fob

2. Remove AC power from the system

3. Set BMC FW update jumper to Force Update position. (Pins 2 to 3 shorted)

4. Apply AC power, power up the system, and boot to UEFI USB drive with the command tool

5. Load the ipmi driver prior to using the command tool by using: load impi.efi

6. Use command: cmdtool.efi 20 c0 b3 to check current KCS mode (reponse: 3=allow all, 4=restricted, 5=deny all)

7. Use command: cmdtool.efi 20 c0 b4 03 to change KCS mode to allow all (reponse should be 03=allow all, 4=restricted, 5=deny all)

8. Use command: cmdtool.efi 20 c0 b3 to check again to see if change successful.

9. If successful, exit and power down the system. Remove AC power.

10. Return BMC FW update jumper to the normal default position (Pins 1 to 2 shorted)

11. Apply AC power

12. Power up and boot the system, go into BIOS setup to see if BMC is now configurable once more

Regards,

Fikri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Poojitha
Employee

Hi Andre,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for posting in Intel Community. We understand that you are facing issues with charging BMC password. If you are unable to change the password using syscfg, we recommend changing it from the BIOS by following the article below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000035969/server-products.html

To change the KCS policy, please refer to the article below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058730/server-products/server-boards.html

For more information and understanding about the KCS policy, follow the article below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058321/server-products.html

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hi Poojitha,

thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I hope you're doing well.

I'm afraid that none of the links you've provided will be helpful. I've already tried everything.

Everything here is greyed out:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000035969/server-products.html

I cannot change the KCS as described here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058730/server-products/server-boards.html
because it requires user name and password. Since I forgot the password, I cannot run it.

And the web UI is also not accessible without a password. So this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058321/server-products.html

will also not work.

Is there perhaps a way to flash the BMC with factory defaults?

Kind Regards

André

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hi Andre21,

Greetings!

We appreciate for taking time to execute the Plan of action shared.

Please find the link given below in which there is a section 11 about reset and recovery jumpers on page 96 where you would find the password reset jumper,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/Intel_S2600ST_TPS.pdf

Note: Kindly check and let us know if that helps to reset the password.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Good Morning Arun,

I finally had the chance to reboot the machine this morning. I followed the procedure from the PDF. After going into the BIOS I saw the following error code 5224 5221. I also saw "Password clear jumper is Set." during boot. So I guess I've done everything right, but when I run `ipmitool user list 1` I still see my user in the list. There is no admin user. When I try to login to the WebUI I get "Login failed. Please check your Username or Password and try again." while using admin/admin to log in.

So I guess this did not help.

So is there perhaps a way to flash the BMC with factory defaults?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards

André

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hi Andre21,

Thank you for sharing the details. Could you please confirm whether you are able to change the Root password in the BIOS? If not, please share the BIOS screenshot with the root details.

Additionally, kindly confirm if the BMC password was configured by you or any of your admin/network team.

This information will help us check the details and assist you further.

We appreciate your understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hi Poojitha,

I had no root password set for the BIOS before. So I did not set one now. As I understood, resetting the BIOS root password via jumper was an attempt to see, if it would also reset the BMC users' passwords.

Is setting the BIOS root password required in order to proceed?

Yes, I set the password myself via `ipmitool user set password 3`.

Kind Regards,

André

0 Kudos
Dineshbabu
Employee

Hi Andre,

Thank you for your response.

Could you please provide a screenshot of the BMC configuration in the BIOS where the password option is grayed out?

Regards,

Dinesh

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hi Dinesh,

I took some photos of the menus. I started at Server Management and worked my way through. After choosing "User Configuration" from the menu, an error message popped up. After closing it, the lower right corner contained "Configuration Changed". But I don't know which part.

01 ServerManagement.jpg

02 BMCLANConfiguration.jpg

03 UserConfiguration.jpg

04 ErrorMessage.jpg

05 GreyedOutMenu.jpg

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

André

0 Kudos
pujeeth
Employee

Hello Andre21,

Greeting from Intel!

Hope you are doing well,

please provide the following details for us to further investigate the issue. 

1) Did you configure a BMC out of band access via LAN port?

2) We also need to check how the KCS policy was changed in the first place? Was it through raw commands or via BMC web console?

3) Kindly generate SEL logs? We need to check if there is any entry of what settings were changed. Please follow the steps here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007037/server-products.html

4) Are you accessing the BMC through dedicated management port from a remote system or from the same system?

5) What is the remote ping status? 

6) Kindly use IPMI Commands to Reset Password and Username on BMC 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055688/server-products.html

Regards

Pujeeth

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hi Pujeeth,

thank you for your response.

1) No, from the command line of the server itself.

2) The KCS policy was changed on BMC's web UI.

3) The link you provided for the SEL logs does not work, but running "/usr/bin/ipmitool sel elist | grep -i kcs"shows:
"""
f04 | 07/30/2023 | 13:24:24 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
f3d | 11/19/2023 | 15:22:01 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
f53 | 12/17/2023 | 12:23:14 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
fb7 | 04/23/2024 | 05:48:45 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
ff5 | 05/01/2024 | 07:54:13 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
ff6 | 05/01/2024 | 07:58:02 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
1083 | 09/23/2024 | 15:50:05 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
108e | 09/23/2024 | 15:54:35 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
10af | 09/23/2024 | 16:05:30 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
10bf | 09/24/2024 | 11:11:11 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
1101 | 09/27/2024 | 05:53:53 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
117d | 09/27/2024 | 06:06:16 | Unknown KCS Ctrl Mode | | Asserted
"""

4) I currently access the BMC from the command line of the server itself.

5) I can ping the BMC and get a reply in under 0.4ms.

6) The ipmi commands shown here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055688/server-products.html

do not work without a password.

The only command working, is `ipmitool user list 1`.

Running `ipmitool user set password 2 password@123` or any other set command shows:

"""

IPMI command failed: Insufficient privilege level
Set User Password command failed (user 2)
"""

Kind Regards

André

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi André21,

Just wondering if you had tried to reset the BIOS to the default factory setting. Is there any changes after reset to factory default?

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Fikri

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hi Fikri,

Yes, I already tried loading BIOS defaults via F9. It did not reset the BMC configuration.

Kind Regards

André

0 Kudos
Subhashish
Employee

Hello Andre,

Greetings !!

Thank you for your email. We are reviewing the details and we will get back to you again at earliest.

Regards,

Subhashish_Intel.

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi André21,

Please try the steps below and see if it will work for you. Attached is the cmdtool.

1. Copy command tool files to the USB key fob

2. Remove AC power from the system

3. Set BMC FW update jumper to Force Update position. (Pins 2 to 3 shorted)

4. Apply AC power, power up the system, and boot to UEFI USB drive with the command tool

5. Load the ipmi driver prior to using the command tool by using: load impi.efi

6. Use command: cmdtool.efi 20 c0 b3 to check current KCS mode (reponse: 3=allow all, 4=restricted, 5=deny all)

7. Use command: cmdtool.efi 20 c0 b4 03 to change KCS mode to allow all (reponse should be 03=allow all, 4=restricted, 5=deny all)

8. Use command: cmdtool.efi 20 c0 b3 to check again to see if change successful.

9. If successful, exit and power down the system. Remove AC power.

10. Return BMC FW update jumper to the normal default position (Pins 1 to 2 shorted)

11. Apply AC power

12. Power up and boot the system, go into BIOS setup to see if BMC is now configurable once more

Regards,

Fikri

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hi Fikri,

I won’t have physical access to the machine for several days.

I’ll let you know as soon as I tested it out.

Kind Regards 

André

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hi Fikri,

I finally managed to test your steps above. It all worked flawlessly. I'm finally able to log into the BMC again.

Andr21_0-1728808563209.png

Thank you all very much for your help!

Kind Regards
 André

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello André21,

Greetings!

Thank you for your kind confirmation. I am glad to hear that the issue got resolved.

Please confirm if I can proceed to close the request if there are no other concerns to be addressed.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi

0 Kudos
André21
Beginner

Hello Sreelakshmi,

please feel free to close my request.

Kind Regards

André

0 Kudos
Sreelakshmi1
Employee

Hello Andre21,

Thank you for the confirmation.

I will proceed to close the request.

Feel free to reach out to us to if you have any further questions or need assistance. We're here to help.

Regards,

Sreelakshmi

0 Kudos