Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

problems with snmpv3 - intel modular server

DChap7
Beginner

HI,

I started to configure snmpv3 to manage the compute module power state for our modular server. When I attempt to save changes for snmpv3 I get the following error:

Error: invalid authentication protocol encountered

This occurs whether I use MD5 or SHA as the protocol.

Further to this when I attempt to access the modular server as described in the intel document "Intel Compute Module Power Control for Clusters" I get

the following error:

# snmpget -v3 -a 'SHA' -A v3password -u 'snmpv3user' 'modular_server_ip:161' '.1.3.6.1.4.1.343.2.19.1.2.10.202.1.1.6.2'

snmpget: Unknown user name

Note that snmpv2c is active and works. I also upgraded to the latest firmware 6.1.100.20100419.20225 in the hope of resolving this matter.

I would be greatful for some direction on this, thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

It seems your SNMP v3 settings are not saved properly... What are the exact changes you're trying to make? Did you try a different browser? A screenshot of the error might be helpful...

0 Kudos
DChap7
Beginner

Firstly thanks for your reply.

I am attempting to change the "User Access" field to readwrite and add an authentication passphrase. Note if I change the authentication protocol say from SHA to MD5 and get the "Error: invalid authentication protocol encountered" the changed state appears to be saved. That is if I log off and log back on the protocol is still changed to MD5.

I Note the user account snmpv3user appears to be fixed and not managed in the User Configuration.

I have attached screenshots of the settings and the error message.

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
DChap7
Beginner

I also forgot to mention that I have tried several browser versions with no luck:

Linux: firefox 3.0.19

Mac OS X: firefox 3.6.3 and safari 4.0.5

Windows XP: firefox 3.5.3 and internet explorer 6.0

Doug

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Doug,

I tried it on my system but didn't encounter your issue... Did you try to go to "Reset v3 Users" and delete all users, and then make your changes again?

0 Kudos
DChap7
Beginner

Yes I've tried "Reset V3 Users" a few times.

0 Kudos