cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DChap7
Beginner

problems with snmpv3 - intel modular server

HI,

I started to configure snmpv3 to manage the compute module power state for our modular server. When I attempt to save changes for snmpv3 I get the following error:

Error: invalid authentication protocol encountered

This occurs whether I use MD5 or SHA as the protocol.

Further to this when I attempt to access the modular server as described in the intel document "Intel Compute Module Power Control for Clusters" I get

the following error:

# snmpget -v3 -a 'SHA' -A v3password -u 'snmpv3user' 'modular_server_ip:161' '.1.3.6.1.4.1.343.2.19.1.2.10.202.1.1.6.2'

snmpget: Unknown user name

Note that snmpv2c is active and works. I also upgraded to the latest firmware 6.1.100.20100419.20225 in the hope of resolving this matter.

I would be greatful for some direction on this, thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

It seems your SNMP v3 settings are not saved properly... What are the exact changes you're trying to make? Did you try a different browser? A screenshot of the error might be helpful...

DChap7
Beginner

Firstly thanks for your reply.

I am attempting to change the "User Access" field to readwrite and add an authentication passphrase. Note if I change the authentication protocol say from SHA to MD5 and get the "Error: invalid authentication protocol encountered" the changed state appears to be saved. That is if I log off and log back on the protocol is still changed to MD5.

I Note the user account snmpv3user appears to be fixed and not managed in the User Configuration.

I have attached screenshots of the settings and the error message.

Thanks,

Doug

DChap7
Beginner

I also forgot to mention that I have tried several browser versions with no luck:

Linux: firefox 3.0.19

Mac OS X: firefox 3.6.3 and safari 4.0.5

Windows XP: firefox 3.5.3 and internet explorer 6.0

Doug

Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Doug,

I tried it on my system but didn't encounter your issue... Did you try to go to "Reset v3 Users" and delete all users, and then make your changes again?

DChap7
Beginner

Yes I've tried "Reset V3 Users" a few times.