i have server platform sr1600urhsr and backplane ASR1500SASBP
BMC - 0.58
HSC - 2.17
ME - 1.12
in backplane integrated SAS RAID LSI 1064e
MPT firmware 1.18.00.00-IT
LSI Logic Config Utility 6.12.00.00ver
i wont to create raid1 on HW RAID
in BIOS i set
Intel SAS Raid Module to IT/IR RAID
But in the menu there is no such point "RAID Properties", and in the documentation http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/d29305015_raid_swg.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/d29305015_raid_swg.pdf such point is that I do not so , whether usage of this controler generally is possible
1. how to make array raid1?
2. how to update firmware LSI 1064e controller?
The ASR1500SASBP supports direct SAS (non RAID) mode or software RAID mode (ESRT2). If you want to configure RAID 1, enable SW RAID in BIOS. To update the SAS firmware, download it from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19804 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19804 and run SR1600UR.nsh under EFI shell.
I don't think you can use a HW RAID controller directly on this system, since there's no way to route the cables from the add-in RAID card to the active backplane. If you really want a HW RAID solution, you'll first need to replace the backplane with a passive backplane ASR1500PASBP, and select a RAID card or module from the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520ur/sb/CS-030027.htm Tested memory and hardware list.
Thanks for answers, but it would be desirable to specify
1. What for then generally it is used RAID the controler in backplane LSI 1064e after all it is normal hw the controler, and to launch in such mode it is impossible, I not absolutely understand then in what plus of active backplane?
2. If I use SW the controler how much it will appear more slowly than HW?
1. The firmware doesn't implement IT/IR RAID. Instead, it uses ESRT2 which support SW RAID 5 with activation key.
2. Very difficult to say... Depends on the disk activity, data pattern and CPU loading.
Concerning the second question
Disks SAS, average activity, in the core it is a web the server with the database 10Gb postgresql, the processor isn't loaded almost.
In such configuration that is better SW or HW RAID?