Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

3rd party Cordova Plugins (Facebook Connect)

Ramon_E_
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

I've been building an App for a few months now and I think i've ran an issue that I can't seem to figure out.  I installed facebook connect on my App and I'm trying to get it to work.  I get the unhandled exec call when I try to login.  I understand this is intended behavior being that its a cordova plugin that is not supported by the Simulate Tab. How can I can I test these 3rd party Plugins?  I would like to test a variety of Facebook features and interact with them as users make their way around my app.  

Thanks,

Ramon E.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
0 Kudos
Ramon_E_
Beginner

based on this link that you provided... https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-debug-and-test-overview .  It seems I really need to use weirne if I want to go the 3rd party plugin route.  In the section  "Intel XDK Test Tab" it states "The weinre console feature of the Test tab has been retired. Please refer to the weinre section of this document for an alternate open-source solution."  However in the preceding section "Using Node weinre* to Debug Your App" there are instructions on how to install weinre.  

I'm confused as to whether I should go down this installation route being that it the Debug tab has been retired and the weinre has been retired along with it.  

If there is a way to use weinre outside of intel xdk to test my hybrid apps built in xdk can you provide me with a way link or way to do that? Being that theres also a section that says " weinre with a built app (esp. with third-party plugins)."  Would I have to build every time I wanted to test my 3rd party plugins?

Thanks in advance.  Any bit of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

See the alternatives outlined in the release notes > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/release-notes-information-intel-xdk#3759 < The video that the weinre and debug tab alternatives point to also includes tips on how to debug without continually rebuilding your app.

Note that the Intel XDK "hosted weinre server" and the Test tab's "weinre console" were retired. The open-source weinre project is still a very much alive and useful tool that you can use, and is demonstrated in the video that is referenced in the release notes link, above.

0 Kudos
Ramon_E_
Beginner

Ok I got weinre download and working but Facebook Connect isn't working.  It goes into the error rather than the success function on attempting to log in.  I suspect it has something to do with the setting on my facebook app.  Can you specify when adding Android what we put in every field?  https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/article/facebook-connect-plugin-android-ios This link specifies what you need to do for IOS.  What do I need to put in the Android Fields in Facebook Settings??  

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The Facebook plugin has two parameters that it requires (see the plugin.xml file for that plugin), which are the same whether you are building for iOS or Android. The way you configure it should be the same for Android as it is for iOS. Note this FAQ regarding Facebook plugins > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/594985

0 Kudos
Ramon_E_
Beginner

So when you first install the plugin it asks for the app_id and app_name .. those to have to match in the facebook settings?  In Facebook Developer they ask for the platform.. do I add android and IOS to those settings? and what do I put as the class name etc?  Does the app name in facebook have to match the name in Intel XDK? in the example app in xdk for facebook it has a condition windows.cordova.platformid == 'browser' do I need to add conditions for android and IOS?

I'm currently getting the dialog box that asks Continue as Ramon?.. but when I click to continue the login function goes into the error.  I believe it has to do with my settings and setup more so than my code.

0 Kudos
Muhammad_Y_Efendi

Ramon, you have to put the same app_id and app_name as you have in your facebook apps. And put as iOS for iphone etc, not Javascript.
And if you want to put as Android, create facebook apps as Android.

0 Kudos
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

Ramon, have you been able to resolve your problem given any of the suggestions? If so what did you follow to solve the issue. This is really helpful for anyone else following this thread, or for future reference.

0 Kudos