Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

64 bit operating system vs Fortran ia 64, intel 64 or novsshell?

B__J_
Beginner

Hey everyone,

Recently I tried to install Fortran on my desktop. But I am not sure which versions of Fortran is suitable for me.

The configuration of my machine is:

Processor: intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3

System type: 64-bit operating system

Visual Stuido:  Microsoft visual studio 2008

The undecided version of Fortran is:

w_cprof_p_11.1.072_ia64

w_cprof_p_11.1.072_intel64 (I tried this one. When I rebuilt my Fortran code, it gives me "intel visual fortran compiler for win 32 not installed")

w_cprof_p_11.1.072_novsshell

I don't understand why installing intel 64 could generate the above warning when I rebuilt my code? I thought it should be good because my operating system is 64 bit. And which version of Fortran is suitable for my 64-bit operating system?

Any response/replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

B.J.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Markus_W_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Have you double-checked that the compiler you installed is for 64 and 32-bit applications?

This error indicates that you have installed the compiler for 64-bit applications only. 

Thank you.

Markus

Intel® Developer Support

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

With the 11.1 compiler, there were several installers to choose from. Among the three that you listed, the first one is for Itanium CPUs, and it should be ignored for your system. The installer that you used will suffice if you want only 64-bit objects to be produced (OBJ, LIB, EXE, DLL). The third installer would have allowed you to choose Intel64, IA32, or both, as targets. You should be able to run it and add the 32-bit components of the compiler. Alternatively, you can download and run the IA32 installer, w_cprof_p_11.1.072_ia32.exe.

If you do not need to produce 32-bit objects, what you have installed will probably suffice. All that you need to do is to select Intel64 in your project settings in Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
Kai_L_2
Beginner

Hey Markus,

I am so sorry for the late reply. I am pretty busy these days so I seldom check the messages.

My visual studio shows it is built code on Win32 platform even though my operating system is 64-bit. I installed Fortran compile using the nonshell application file. I didn't choose it to be Win32 or x64 during installation.

Thanks.

Kai

Markus W. (Intel) wrote:

Hello,

Have you double-checked that the compiler you installed is for 64 and 32-bit applications?

This error indicates that you have installed the compiler for 64-bit applications only. 

Thank you.

Markus

Intel® Developer Support

0 Kudos
Kai_L_2
Beginner

Hey mecej4,

Sorry for the late reply. I rarely check the message these days because I was pretty busy.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your response and it is a great help.

Kai

mecej4 wrote:

With the 11.1 compiler, there were several installers to choose from. Among the three that you listed, the first one is for Itanium CPUs, and it should be ignored for your system. The installer that you used will suffice if you want only 64-bit objects to be produced (OBJ, LIB, EXE, DLL). The third installer would have allowed you to choose Intel64, IA32, or both, as targets. You should be able to run it and add the 32-bit components of the compiler. Alternatively, you can download and run the IA32 installer, w_cprof_p_11.1.072_ia32.exe.

If you do not need to produce 32-bit objects, what you have installed will probably suffice. All that you need to do is to select Intel64 in your project settings in Visual Studio.

0 Kudos