Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

915GM/GMS VISTA DRIVERS.

arron_161
Beginner

WHERE ARE THEY??

I upgradied my RAM from 256MB to 1GB, just for "The Aero Experience" ... at a cost of 74.99 from Packard Bell.

I have a Packard Bell Easynote S4935, and running Vista fine, without problems.

THE ONE REALLY HUGE PROBLEM ... IS NO AERO SUPPORT ON 915/910 cards, THEREFORE NO FLIP 3D, LIVE PREVIEWS, DVD MAKER OR MOVIE MAKER SUPPORT.

As you can see i am LIVID!! at spending 220 plus 75 on RAM, checking whether my card is supported for Vista first ...

AND THEN ... not being able to use, the WHOLE Aero Experience, and DVD and Movie Maker.

I Contacted Microsoft, about this, and they has issued an official return request, so I could get a refund of Vista if I wanted. BUT THATS NOT THE POINT. I want Windows Vista. AND I WANT AERO TOO.

Especially with my Laptop being only 6 Months old. (NOT EVEN A YEAR!)

RELEASE THE XPDM or WDDM Drivers. Otherwise, you will lose out on alot of business, from THAUSAND of 915/910 Chipset users.

LINK TO PETITION - http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?intel915

I hope you can get this ISSUE solved. And Fast.

R-Fly
0 Kudos
38 Replies
iamzed
Beginner

Ill never buy Intel graphics again if this situation is not repaired, as I imagine will anyone who recently purchased a 915. Offering reasons as to why you fail to satisfycustomers is an impotent response to customer loss. So is pretending its out of your power. Why is Intel content with alienating customers?

0 Kudos
garyterz22
Beginner
I have several computers at my house, some have AMD chips and some Intel. I just installed Vista on one computer with an AMD chipset and one with an Intel 915 chipset. I could not get the 3D effects to work on the Intel chip and have now discovered the reason via this forum. I would like Intel to know that I will never purchase another computer or build another computer with and Intel chipset if they do not bother to make a driver for the 915 chipset that will run the Vista 3D effects. How long has Intel known about Vista and had the codes needed to write the proper drivers?
0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee
To those noting (correctly) that Aero Glass worked during the Vista Beta, ask yourselves this question: What changed between the beta and now? Vista, or the Intel 915 graphics chip soldered to your motherboard? That being said, I'm going to try to talk to the graphics group to see if I can get them to release a "beta" or unofficial, unsigned driver for 915. Maybe even open source. I don't even know the exact people I need to talk to about this, so don't get yourselves too excited, but I'm going to look into it. As always, in the spirit of transparency, I'll keep you all updated.
0 Kudos
john5170
Beginner

The GMA 900 worked perfectly on Beta versions of Vista, so the point here is clearly to make people upgrade their hardware (for laptops, replace the entire laptop).

The previous versions of the Microsoft Windows Vista upgrade advisor even stated that GMA 900 can support full Aero effects.

If I want my system to run at a snail's pace just so I can have Aero, it should be my choice, not theirs.

Even if it happens that Aero runs slower on the GMA 900, there are tweaks such as disabling transparency, removing animation effects, removing Flip3D, etc.

Intel driversshould at least allow the Vista Standard Interface to run on the GMA 900.

The least thing Intel should do now, is to post the old Vista Beta drivers that supported GMA 900 running Aero, and give users the final decision...

0 Kudos
Aaron_B_Intel
Employee

There's a simpler explanation that makes more sense than Intel abruptly deciding in the midst of Vista Release Candidate 2 that they wanted you to buy new hardware:

We know that Intel's not afraid to release drivers which provide slower-then-Nvidia-and-ATI framerates on games or other applications-- the GMA900's appeal is that it provides decent-but-not-great graphics for a good price-- and wouldn't have balked at putting out a Vista driver which ran a little slower than nominal. That's why it shows up in the Vista beta drivers. Microsoft, on the other hand, does not want their new OS to look like it's slower than the old one, and has every incentive to shut out hardware it thinks will demonstrate this. Microsoft decided that they didn't like the performance of the 915G chipset graphics (whether or not we, the customers, would care is irrelevant to this decision) and found a legitimate (to them and their specs) hardware reason to refuse it.

The WDDM certification process is not a democracy, where all the hardware and software guys get together and decide by vote whether or not you can certify a driver. Microsoft has full right of refusal if the drivers are not to their liking or don't meet their spec, and in this case, there is a hardware limitation which is not fixable.

I don't know the "legality" of Intel releasing a beta driver for 915G which runs Aero; maybeJosh can shake one loose. But I am willing to bet considerable amounts of cash we will never see a WDDM-approvednon-beta driver for 915Gfor the simple reasonthatMicrosoft has already decided the chipset does not meet their requirements (no hardware scheduler) and will not approve one, even if Intel were to move heaven and earth to submit one.

0 Kudos
mattjfromwey
Beginner

I welcome the news in Josh's last post, seems he does have the publics interest at heart which is refreshing. It seems silly on microsofts part not to include a graphics driver as they will be loosing out on upgrade sales. I for one would not buy vista, unless it looks better than xp. Sounds vain I know, but xp does everything I want it to do, thus the only reason I would pay for the upgrade is a better visual experience.

0 Kudos
ketchrock
Beginner
Hi there, I absolutely agree. It is good to here from an IT pro such as yourself that you too believe that Intel is basically on a money grab here. I am an advanced home user that relies on my mobile platform (unfortuneatly a 915) as well as other desktop platforms I have built. Intel just does not get how they have already damaged their trademark. Good luck Intel......I'm migrating as well to another platform. Good- Bye!!
0 Kudos
fgarzonhz
Beginner

Pleaase, liberates a driver for vista with the capacite to consume AEREO in whole, use some technology of renderizacin if the limitations are of hardware, or consuming readyboost of vista.
We are million that we have just bought our portable ones and not to be able enjoy Vista, regards.

(auto translate)

0 Kudos
pierreih
Beginner

Merci Josh pour ses rponseset aussi tous les utilisateurs qui comme moi sont trs du de ne pouvoir utiliser l'effet visuelde l'AERO. J'espre qu'Intel ou Microsoft feront le ncessaire pour rgler ce malentendu et qu'ils penseront leurs clients. Essayer de leur faire dpenser encore de l'argent pour une nouvelle carte graphique ou un nouveau PC peut avoir pour rsultat de se diriger tout simplement sur un AMD avec Linux, et c'est bien la premire fois que j'y pense...

0 Kudos
garyterz22
Beginner
I agree. I have a 915 and am unable to use the full features of Vista. I have just build a new computer and I used an AMD chip in it. Good bye Intel.
0 Kudos
john5170
Beginner
So Josh, are there any news regarding the WDDM drivers?
0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee
Go read this post on the Intel Software Network blog for an update on the quest for an unofficial/beta/open source WDDM driver for Intel 915 graphics that the community has been calling for, that I, your unlikely hero, have taken upon myself. Short answer: please be patient, Im still trying to find the right people to talk to. Plus I have a day job. ;-)
0 Kudos
ncm500
Beginner
Since Intel has the intellectual capital in it's open source OpenGL drivers for the Linux platform, which are implicated in running Beryl on Linux, couldn't somebody clever port them to Windows?

(I guess one must have microsoft's permission to develop for the WDM, in addition to crossing their palms with silver)

I believe Windows Aero can use OpenGL in addition to Direct3D.

Alternatively, I suspect it is a small matter to re-enable comprehensive support for the Intel GMA platform in the existing Windows Vista 7.x.x.x GMA9xx drivers. Perhaps a handfull of choice engineers of those 90,000 or so clever employees at Intel could spend a few man hours on it? Or an appropriate contract, similar to the Tungsten Graphics firm's, could be tendered.

Any which way, our partners in Intel should break out of their administrative paralysis on this issue. Before we all flee to more reliable sources for our computational platform needs.
0 Kudos
randomblame
Beginner
I think what Josh and all the other Intel representatives are forgetting here is that aero was supported during the beta of windows vista with these chips. You didn't need WDDM back then to run Aero. It's not that the hardware is incapable of running aero. It's MICROSOFT that is to blame. MICROSOFT decided to put restrictions in place to gain control over the drivers installed on it's platform. Their restrictions are too tight or Intel doesn't want to pay royalties (If there are any I don't know) . This is about money and control. These chips can run Aero just fine. Someone will come out with a hack for it sooner or later I bet. But in the mean time I have a solution for you : http://fedoraproject.org
0 Kudos
lwwilks
Beginner

Well my company just received a shipment of 165 laptops that have the 915express video, and I installed Vista Enterprise and discovered that the Aero Glass and associated features ie: Movie Maker and DVD Recorder were not functional. Consiquently, we have obtained an RMA for the whole shipment and have arranged to have all units replaced with AMD/ATI processors/chipsets for the same model of laptop. Guess Intel better wake up and come up with a Firmware upgrade and Driver for their products to remain compatible with the latest OS that Microsoft is producing. Fairwell INTEL or is that NUNTEL.

Next quarter we are buying another 200 laptops and 365 desktops and those also will not have INTEL inside...

0 Kudos
crash27
Beginner
I myself are in a similiar vote. I have a new Toshiba Laptop that is capable of playing Doom 3 and Call of Duty 2 yet now Aero, The funny thing is they say our cards are not up to the requirements to run Aero yet I am sure that Intel can sit down and come up with a patch or driver that will allow our "Old Video Cards" LOL, to be able to run Aero. To look at this at Intel's point how can they sit and let hundreds of thousands of users and there customers go without any resolution, If they want us to continue to be happy with there product and continue using it then they must come up with a solution, If no support for this product then give us options of what we are supposed to do without spending thousands of dollars on another laptop . Are we to just to say thanks for nothing and keep on making more applications and addons that we cannot use.
0 Kudos
dennishor
Beginner

Dear Josh Bancroft:

Can you give me 915 Graphics Vista driver "beta" unofficial WDDM driver for me?

Dennis

0 Kudos
Joshua_B_Intel
Employee
Given the fact that this whole issue is blowing up, in terms of mainstream coverage, talk of class action lawsuits, I've decided to lock this thread. The discussion has run its course as it pertains to Intel Software Network and this forum. I'm sure there will be other, more appropriate places to continue this conversation. This is no longer the place.

Please do not start any new threads discussing this topic, as they will be locked. Thank you for understanding!
0 Kudos