Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

A problem in installing the Intel MPI Library w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe under Windows 10

volosch
Beginner

A problem arise when I am trying to install the last version of Intel MPI Library w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe under Windows 10 both on Intel i7-6950X and Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 based PC. Two screenshots are available. My license is still valid.

The older versions of Intel MPI library:  w_mpi_p_5.1.3.180.exe, w_mpi_p_2017.0.109.exe and w_mpi_p_2017.1.143.exe have been successfully installed on these PC.

Please, help me to resolve the problem.

Andrei Voloschenko

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Alexandra_S_Intel

Hello, Andrei,

That's strange; I'll look into it. Are there any other details you can give me?

If you want to send me details which are not suited to being disclosed on the forums, please use the Send Author a Message link on the gray bar next to my name.

- Alex

0 Kudos
volosch
Beginner

Dear Alex,

Hi.

It is also strange for me. I only can add two screenshots, received under Windows 10 on Intel i7-6950X based PC. My license is still valid.

Best regards,

Andrei Voloschenko

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

Thank you for the additional screenshots, Andrei.

I saved them to my own computer and then deleted the attachments from your post, since one of the screenshots you included displayed your serial number, and this forum is open to the public. You should not post your serial numbers on the forums. :)

I will look into this.

0 Kudos
volosch
Beginner

Dear Alex,

Hi.

Sorry for a screenshot where the serial number is displayed. I have not found my Forum topic on the Forum, so, it was seemed for me as not public.

I also have an additional question.

Since Intel® MPI Library 2017 the SMPD process manager was removed. I have no problems in the use the SMPD process manager that was available in the previous Intel® MPI 5.1.3 version of the MPI library, as it supports the call of executable in a way that is similar to ordinary call of Fortran executables:

mpiexec.smpd <g-options> <l-options> <executable>

where executable = <name>.exe is the executable file. In particular case, the following call was supported:

mpiexec.smpd -n 4 executable < input file > output file 2>&1            (A)

The Syntax of the mpiexec utility that is a scalable MPI process manager is formally similar:

mpiexec <g-options> <l-options> <executable>

On a local node the following call of the mpiexec utility works:

mpiexec -n 4 –localonly executable > output file 2>&1

Explain, please, what options should be used to run the executable by the mpiexec utility in a way, similar to (A) with the explicit definition of the input file.

Best regards,

Andrei Voloschenko

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

Hi, Andrei,

Your additional question is somewhat outside my area of expertise and outside the scope of this particular forum; I suggest you ask it on a different forum where someone better qualified for that particular question can answer you.

As for your installation issues, I'd like to request you send me a debug log. Please set the environment variable INTEL_LMD_DEBUG to a file path to create a log file. For example, setting it to C:\Users\username\Documents\InstallDebug.log would produce a file called InstallDebug.log in your Documents folder. Once you set this environment variable, try to install the product, and it will produce a log I can use to help me figure out what's gone wrong. Remember to unset the environment variable when you're done.

Then please send the debug log to me in a private message.

- Alex

0 Kudos
volosch
Beginner

Dear Alex,

Hi,

After setting the environment variable INTEL_LMD_DEBUG by a command:

set INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=C:\Users\Andrei Voloschenko\Documents\InstallDebug.log (the environment variables are displayed in the attached file), I have tried to install the product w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe again with known result. No InstallDebug.log file is generated in my Documents folder!

Support Period End for the product is 2017-09-20. License file for the product

COM_W___((Redacted by Intel Employee)).lic is available in the directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses\

Best regards,

Andrei Voloschenko

This message was edited by an Intel Employee to remove a serial number. Please do not post your serial number on the forums for security reasons.

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

Hi, Andrei,

Please do not post your license files, serial numbers (which are included in license file names), or email address on the public forums. I went ahead and removed yours from your post for security reasons. :)

Did you try to run the installation by clicking on the executable or did you launch it from the command line? I've done some testing on my own machine and it seems like if you use "set variable=path" on a command line and then try to run Intel software (such as trying to install something) from any other source than that command line console, the variable does not apply (that is, no log will be produced).

Try instead using the more permanent setx INTEL_LMD_DEBUG "C:\Users\Andrei Voloschenko\Documents\InstallDebug.log" (you will need the quotes because of the space in your name), then running the installer. Remember to unset this variable afterwards or you'll get a log every time you run any intel software (let me know if you need help deleting the environment variable when you're done).

Alternatively, use your "set variable=path" format but try running the installer from the command line, in the same console that you set the variable in.

-Alex

0 Kudos
volosch
Beginner

Dear Alex,

Hi,

Sorry for posting the name of license file. This name contains the forbidden information: the serial number of the product.

The next my step in installation experiment can be described as follows.

After setting the environment variable INTEL_LMD_DEBUG from a command line by a command:

set INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=C:\Users\Andrei Voloschenko\Documents\InstallDebug.log, the call of File Manager Total Commander is performed from the command line. Next, I have tried to install the product w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe by clicking w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe file from Total Commander. In this case the additional environment variables setting installed by the set command is valid. The result is the same. No InstallDebug.log file is generated in my Documents folder.

The valid links for w_mpi_p_2017.2.187 work are installed by parallel_studio_xe_2017_update2_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe, as you can see in the attached screenshot.

It seems for me that no reasonable explanation of the bug in w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe installation can be found. You can test the w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe installation on your PC.

Best regards,

Andrei Voloschenko

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

"The valid links for w_mpi_p_2017.2.187 work are installed by parallel_studio_xe_2017_update2_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe, as you can see in the attached screenshot."

So you were able to work around the issue, correct?

0 Kudos
volosch
Beginner

Dear Alex,

Hi,

The valid links for w_mpi_p_2017.2.187 library work are essential, but not sufficient. The required components of w_mpi_p_2017.2.187 library are not installed. So, the use of w_mpi_p_2017.2.187 library is impossible. Available license, valid seral number and license file are ignored by w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe file.

Best regards,

Andrei Voloschenko

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

"set INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=C:\Users\Andrei Voloschenko\Documents\InstallDebug.log, the call of File Manager Total Commander is performed from the command line. Next, I have tried to install the product w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe by clicking w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe file from Total Commander. In this case the additional environment variables setting installed by the set command is valid. The result is the same. No InstallDebug.log file is generated in my Documents folder."

I just downloaded the mpi installer and tested this out. Using the regular set variable=value command, neither launching the explorer (and from there the installer) or the installer itself from the command line produced a license file. However, using the setx command and then running the installer did. I'm not sure why this is. It might be the space messing it up, but I tested using quotation marks in the set command as well and it still didn't work, so it might not be.

Speaking of spaces, where are you running your installer from? Does the path to the installer itself contain a space? If there is a space in the path to the installer, you could try moving the installer to a location that does not include a space in its path, just in case that's the problem. C:\temp might work. However it's worth noting that I tested this theory by running the installer from a folder with a space in its name and I was not able to reproduce your error so it might not be the problem, but I still wanted to mention it for completeness sake.

I have tried to replicate your problem, and I am not getting the "failed to open file" error. Nor do I know what file it's attempting and failing to open when you try to activate by serial number. The fact that it produces that error when it shouldn't be looking for a file that I know of suggests that it's not failing to find the license file when you try to use that, but is suffering the same error as the serial number activation, whatever that may be. I will need to see your logs in order to understand what's going wrong, as I cannot produce the same error on my own Windows 10 machine using the same installer.

Please use the command setx INTEL_LMD_DEBUG "C:\Users\Andrei Voloschenko\Documents\InstallDebug.log" and then run the installer to produce a log. My testing has shown that this one will work, even if the regular set didn't. Just remember to unset the variable when you're done.

- Alex

0 Kudos
volosch
Beginner

Dear Alex,

Hi,

After setting the environment variable INTEL_LMD_DEBUG from a command line by a command:

setx INTEL_LMD_DEBUG "C:\Users\Andrei Voloschenko\Documents\InstallDebug.log" (the environment variables are displayed in the attached file), I have tried to install the product w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe by clicking w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe file from Windows Explorer. The result is the same. No InstallDebug.log file is generated in my Documents folder.

Available license, valid seral number and license file are ignored by w_mpi_p_2017.2.187.exe file. Support Period End for the product is 2017-09-20.

It seems for me that it is impossible to locate the bug. So, we should stop the discussion.

Thank you for your help.

No problems arise in installing w_mpi_p_2017.0.109.exe and w_mpi_p_2017.1.143.exe products. It is sufficient for my current needs.

Best regards,

Andrei Voloschenko

0 Kudos
Alexandra_S_Intel

"It seems for me that it is impossible to locate the bug. So, we should stop the discussion.
Thank you for your help."

I am sorry I was not able to assist you further.

Please remember to unset INTEL_LMD_DEBUG so you won't get log files every time you run an intel software product.

Since no further progress can be made in debugging this, I will close this thread now. If you want to continue investigating, or if you (or any other reader) have another question, please create a new thread so we can get to you in a timely fashion.

- Alex

0 Kudos