Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Android App Preview Issues

Richard_J_
Beginner

It looks like the server side of Android App Preview may have been updated, I am experiencing a couple of new issues today.

- A popup warns me that cordova-plugin-legacy-whitelist is not compatible with App Preview, and I am not using it. My app uses W3C Widget Access for the whitelist. For testing I set up a new, blank template html5+cordova app with W3C Wdiget Access as the whitelist. I received the same warning that my app includes cordova-plugin-legacy-whitelist.

- I use the camera plugin v1.2.0 to select a video file, it returns an empty fileURI in App Preview. The code still works when I build the app for Android, and it worked in App Preview before the update. I tried deleting and reinstalling the camera and file plugins.

My iOS App Preview is still working as before.

Thanks for any help!

-Richard Jacobs

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Paul_J_1
Beginner

I am also experiencing similar issues on iOS beginning with the release of Intel App Preview version 2.8.0 on 3/16/2016.

I first received a message stating that the cordova plug-in I was using (calendar) was no longer supported by Intel XDK. I removed the plug-in and rebuilt from the TEST tab using MOBILE. Next, I encountered issues with my splashscreen, so I tried removing it. Even without the splashscreen, my panels would load but no data from my servers would load.

If I deploy the app from the TEST tab using WIFI, everything works.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Richard -- cordova-plugin-legacy-whitelist == W3C Widget Access -- it's just a conservative warning to let you know that your W3C whitelist may not work as expected in App Preview 2.8.0 because App Preview 2.8.0 is built with the new whitelist mechanism, that you'll see in the very soon to be released update to the XDK.

@Paul -- That is a warning that App Preview 2.8.0 is sending just to tell you that it does not support your Calendar plugin (it never did). App Preview includes only the core Cordova plugins, it does not include third-party plugins. So the warning is intended to let you know that any code you execute that requires a third-party plugin will not work (it never did work). Perhaps the warning is not clear...

0 Kudos
Paul_J_1
Beginner

Thanks for the response.

I did remove the calendar plug-in and redeployed. The warning went away, but there are still a few issues we are experiencing.

1. Splashscreen takes much longer to clear. Even after removing our splashscreen, when the app launches, a blank white page is displayed which eventually clears and loads our default view/panel.

2. Our app freezes after loading any panel which access our back-end servers. The app is unusable at that point.

If I deploy the app from the TEST tab using our local WIFI, the app deploys and runs, but the behavior has still changed.

Most notably, we were using intel.xdk.device.setRotateOrientation('portrait'); to fix the device orientation. This no longer works.

Our build only includes core cordova plug-ins, with the exception of the Intel XDK Device Plug-In. We are not using any third-party plug-ins.

Maybe there is something we need to re-configure as I noticed the release notes for App Preview indicated some significant changes, such as an upgrade to both a new cordova CLI and cordova iOS version. Or maybe there is something we have been doing wrong that only manifested itself with the latest version. We've been doing regular test builds quite frequently since last October, and these are issues we have not seen until now.

Paul J.

0 Kudos
Paul_J_1
Beginner

Even though I was using core cordova plug-ins, there were new versions available for some of them.

There still is an issue with the Intel XDK Device Plug-In.

After verifying the latest versions of all selected core cordova plug-ins, the app is back to normal except for the device orientation.

Paul J.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Paul -- Those intel.xdk plugins have been deprecated and are no longer being supported. Please see this this FAQ for some help > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/cordova#app-orientation. Also, there have been some changes made by the Cordova project to the way the splash screen delay parameters are interpreted, see the plugin page for some possible hints there > https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen#android-and-ios-quirks < the preferences referred to on that page to into your intelxdk.config.additions.xml file.

0 Kudos
Nikolay_K_
Beginner

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

cordova-plugin-legacy-whitelist == W3C Widget Access -- it's just a conservative warning to let you know that your W3C whitelist may not work as expected in App Preview 2.8.0 because App Preview 2.8.0 is built with the new whitelist mechanism, that you'll see in the very soon to be released update to the XDK.

Seems this is reason why my application stops working after update App Preview to last version.
 App is using ajax queries to load pages (Framework7). What are settings to change to make app working in AppPreview?

Prev AppPreview version works like a charm with XDK 3088

0 Kudos
Paul_J_1
Beginner

After installing the third-party plug-in for screen orientation, the warning message is still displayed, which makes sense.

However, if I include any javascript calls to the plug-in, for instance to lock the screen orientation, the index.html page will not load.

If app preview won't work with any 3rd-party plug-ins, what is the best way to implement my application so it will work in App Preview, even though the functionality from a non-supported plug-in may not work?

This didn't seem to be a problem before 2.8.0 was released.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Paul -- App Preview has never supported third-party plugins. Watch these two webinars, they should help to understand why and will show you some debugging options for apps that include third-party plugins:

0 Kudos
sumeerana_l_
Beginner

Hi all,

I am facing app preview issues in android, latest update not working in my mobile.before updation of app preview works like charm.

Any one help me out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Did you build with android or crosswalk?

0 Kudos