Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

App Preview

Adebayo_A_
Beginner

Good day everyone,

I am new to Intel XDK and I have a few question with regards use of the App Preview app.

I would like to know if I must be connected to the internet in order to use the app when testing my apps.

Any help on how to test apps through wifi will also be deeply appreciated.

Awaiting your kind responses. Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ad
New Contributor III

First, to get your project compiled on the Intel server you always must have a wifi connection.

In the XDK you have several options to test/debug your app, here I explain 2 but there are more!

TEST TAB
You must have a wifi connection, otherwise App Preview app can't login and fetch your app from the server even if you use Local Apps

Open the XDK IDE and open the TEST tab. In the left pane is explained how to test your app with the App Preview app
More information can be found here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-app-preview-overview

DEBUG TAB
The XDK IDE must to have Wifi connection, your device does NOT need wifi.
P.S. You need to make an USB connection with your device.

Open the XDK IDE and open the DEBUG tab. Here is explained how to debug your app.

0 Kudos
Adebayo_A_
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

If I get you very well, one of my devices must be connected to the internet in order for me to use the Test or Debug option right?

What about the Live Layout Editing under Develop tab?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

@Adebayo -- the XDK and your device must have an Internet connection to use the Test tab (whether you choose MOBILE or the WIFI option). In particular, App Preview on your device needs to confirm your account login, even if you use the WIFI option. The Test tab's WIFI option is faster and more reliable.

If you use the Debug tab, the XDK needs an Internet connection to build a custom debug module, but only for that purpose. Once you have a custom debug module built, you do not need an Internet connection, for either the XDK or your device.

Using the Emulate tab does not require an Internet connection.

I believe Live Layout requires an Internet connection to log into your account, but after that it only requires a local network connection to the XDK, similar to the Test tab and the WIFI option.

0 Kudos
Michael_O_2
New Contributor I

@Adebayo You can also use connect your phone to a PC via a USB and debug.

"Live Layout" and "local apps" are basically the same. 

0 Kudos
Davide_M_
Beginner

Hi, I would like to add this question here because I think could be nice to find.
About developing an App for Android, iOS and WIndows Phone.
On android everybody can install the app on any devices for testing purpose (just send it by email).
For iOS and Windows, if the developer doesn't have the paid accounts, it's possible to use ony App Preview (probably).
Now the question: is it possible to share the app without sharing username and password of Intel account?
Are there other ways to test?
Thank you very much
Davide

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

You can share a built app without providing a userid and password. Make sure to uncheck the "Use a secure download link" before mailing the app:

• On Android the receiving device must have "install non-market apps" enabled.
  • On iOS this requires that your ad-hoc provision file include the UDID for the iOS device you are mailing the built app to, and they must use the default Apple email app in order to make the OTA link work in the email you send from the build complete screen.
  • On Windows you can install your app into the Windows store as a "beta" app and then include the email address of the recipient that is associated with their Windows userid. You can then send them a link to the app that they can download from the store (even though the app will not appear in the store).

It is not possible to use the XDK or App Preview as an alternate means of distributing apps. You must use the vendor-supplied channels for distribution of your final apps.

0 Kudos
Adebayo_A_
Beginner

Thanks for the reply @Micheal and @Paul

0 Kudos
Davide_M_
Beginner

Thanks @Paul
:-)

0 Kudos
manka__ryan
Beginner

Ad wrote:

First, to get your project compiled on the Intel server you always must have a wifi connection.

In the XDK you have several options to test/debug your app, here I explain 2 but there are more!

TEST TAB
You must have a wifi connection, otherwise App Preview app can't login and fetch your app from the server even if you use Local Apps

Open the XDK IDE and open the TEST tab. In the left pane is explained how to test your app with the App Preview app
More information can be found here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/intel-xdk-app-preview-overview

DEBUG TAB
The XDK IDE must to have Wifi connection, your device does NOT need wifi.
P.S. You need to make an USB connection with your device.

Open the XDK IDE and open the DEBUG tab. Here is explained how to debug your app.

The resource link you provide says "Access denied"

any update ?

0 Kudos