Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Aspect of app works in Emulate but not in Test.

One__EternaL
New Contributor I

My app works in the Intel XDK Emulate feature (on Windows PC), but not in the Intel App Preview app on-device (on Samsung Galaxy S). To be specific, I made a game in Construct 2 that includes animations made in Spriter. The Emulate feature has everything working correctly, including the Spriter aspects, but, on device, everything works except for the Spriter aspects, which don't show up at all. The Spriter aspects are basically a bunch of pngs animated by data in included .scon files. What could be the cause of the issue? The largest hint by far should likely lie in the fact that everything works in the emulator for the exact mobile device on PC. So there must be a reason that it just doesn't work on the mobile device itself.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

I would highly recommend building the app for the device and install the app from link which you email to yourself after app building for the specific platform.

Limitations of the Emulation.

You should think of the Emulate tab as a Cordova API simulator, not as a device emulator. It provides you with a convenient viewport to help you visualize the approximate layout of your app on various devices and it simulatesthe core Cordova APIs to make it easier to debug apps that use those APIs. It does not simulate real devices nor does it simulate third-party Cordova plugin APIs. Getting your app to work in the Emulate tab is not a guarantee that it will work on a real device. Conversely, if things work on a real device but do not work in the Emulate tab, that is not an indication that your app is "broken." The only way to know with certainty that your app works as intended is to build it and install it on real devices.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

I would highly recommend building the app for the device and install the app from link which you email to yourself after app building for the specific platform.

Limitations of the Emulation.

You should think of the Emulate tab as a Cordova API simulator, not as a device emulator. It provides you with a convenient viewport to help you visualize the approximate layout of your app on various devices and it simulatesthe core Cordova APIs to make it easier to debug apps that use those APIs. It does not simulate real devices nor does it simulate third-party Cordova plugin APIs. Getting your app to work in the Emulate tab is not a guarantee that it will work on a real device. Conversely, if things work on a real device but do not work in the Emulate tab, that is not an indication that your app is "broken." The only way to know with certainty that your app works as intended is to build it and install it on real devices.

0 Kudos
One__EternaL
New Contributor I

Thank you, you're right! Certain plugins aren't used in the Test function, whereas they are in the final Build. I was only thrown off by thinking that the Intel App Preview app is meant to give you a true preview of the final Build as it will run on that device, but that isn't the case. Thank you! My problem's solved. :)

0 Kudos