Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Black depth image results in sunlit scenes with Intel RealSense R200

Manuel_P_1
Beginner

Hello,

I need to obtain depth images with indoor and outdoor conditions with Intel Real Sense R200 camera. Indoor conditions are quite good but when I try to use under sunlit conditions the image is completely black.

I've download the last SDK because I read the following lines in the release notes:

RSSDK samples do not enforce use of DS4 auto-exposure mode. This will lead to poor depth map results in sunlit scenes. 
Recompile sample code with auto-exposure mode enabled 

This autoexposure mode will work fine with sunlit conditions? In this case, how can I enabled the auto-exposure mode?

Thank you in advance,

Manu.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kfind1
New Contributor I

Is it not merely m_device->SetDSLeftRightAutoExposure(true)?

For some reason the API calls the depth sensor "DSleftright" I guess because the way it obtains depth is by the left and right stereo pair, and "DS" means "depth sensor" I assume.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jb455
Valued Contributor II
0 Kudos
Manuel_P_1
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to use SetColorAutoExposure​() but there is no changes in the depth image between applying or not autoexposure when I run the code.

My code is the following:   

m_pp = PXCSenseManager::CreateInstance();

if (!m_pp) {
        wprintf_s(L"Unable to create the SenseManager\n");
        return false;
    }

m_pp->EnableStream(PXCCapture::STREAM_TYPE_DEPTH, WIDTH, HEIGHT, 30);

/* Initializes the pipeline */
    m_sts = m_pp->Init();
    if (m_sts<PXC_STATUS_NO_ERROR) {
        wprintf_s(L"Failed to locate any video stream(s)\n");
        m_pp->Release();
        return false;
    }    

m_device = m_pp->QueryCaptureManager()->QueryDevice();

// Reset all properties 
    m_device->ResetProperties(PXCCapture::STREAM_TYPE_DEPTH);

// Set mirror mode        
    m_device->SetMirrorMode(PXCCapture::Device::MirrorMode::MIRROR_MODE_HORIZONTAL);  

//Autoexposure
    m_sts = m_device->SetColorAutoExposure(true);

Is there any mistake in this code?

Thank you in advance!

Br,

Manu

0 Kudos
Eli_E_
New Contributor I

Color auto exposure is not correct. The exposure for the dual IR sensors should be a separate function. 

0 Kudos
Manuel_P_1
Beginner

Thank you.

Which function I should use in order to set auto mode for indoor outoor depth conditions? I've test outdoor spaces with the auto mode of Intel SDK explorer and the results are very good. 

Thank in advance,

Manu

0 Kudos
kfind1
New Contributor I

Is it not merely m_device->SetDSLeftRightAutoExposure(true)?

For some reason the API calls the depth sensor "DSleftright" I guess because the way it obtains depth is by the left and right stereo pair, and "DS" means "depth sensor" I assume.

0 Kudos
kfind1
New Contributor I

Hey guys just an update - I also had black depth images in a sunlit scene and I remembered that blackness can be a manifestation of too high gain or exposure values. First I turned off the R200's built in IR emitter using SetDSEnableEmitter(false). Then I set my gain to 1 (was 4 normally for my R200) and exposure to 5ms, and then later to 1ms, and I got really awesome outdoor depth images. I noticed a funny (but cool) thing with 5ms exposure, where objects in direct sunlight were still too exposed, and were black, but their SHADOWS were returning good range data. This was awesome to play with, I could move my body to occlude the sunlight from something and my shadow allowed for depth data inside my shadowed area. This opens up some interesting possible digital artwork does it not??

Anyway, I got a nice depth image of the top of a pallet in direct sunlight which you can see below:

pallet in direct sunlight - gain of 1, 1ms exposure.

0 Kudos
Ning_R_
Beginner

It's really good information, we need to think about how to use the shadow data.  

0 Kudos
kfind1
New Contributor I

@Ning R. if you get rich from my idea, send me a cheque ;)

0 Kudos