Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

[Bug] The 3D-scan example (C#) only recognises faces

Klaus_V_
Beginner

I'm hopefully not the only one who has problems with the 3D scan demo program. It does not recognise anything else except faces, but I would need a scan of an object. I use an Intel Realsense SR300. Has anyone figure out how to get rid of that bug?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DKryd
Beginner

the issue i have with that sample app is that, at least on my setup, it does "scan" anything that it seems to recognize within a range that is set by the camera, rather it takes a snapshot with added depth characteristics. i always end up with a flat image with depth that is saved as an .obj

so it seems to be mis-named.

0 Kudos
Klaus_V_
Beginner

Douglas K. wrote:

the issue i have with that sample app is that, at least on my setup, it does "scan" anything that it seems to recognize within a range that is set by the camera, rather it takes a snapshot with added depth characteristics. i always end up with a flat image with depth that is saved as an .obj

so it seems to be mis-named.

Okay. No as long as I scan my face everything works just fine. But the rest of the scanning simply won't work. I try to get the "object" mode running, but it keeps saying "out of range". Haven't found the bug yet...

Thank you for your reply. Support is pretty rare here...

Kind regards, Klaus

0 Kudos
jb455
Valued Contributor II

I did find that one of the older versions of the SDK (I think it was around Nov-Dec 15 it was out) was unable to 'lock on' to any objects except on face mode (so you'd be in 'preview mode' forever) though the versions before and since have been ok.

We generally use 'head' mode for capturing arbitrary objects (usually body parts but not necessarily heads!) and get good results.

..Just noticed that you're using the SR300. The above applies to the F200 & R200 (I'll leave it in case anyone else finds it useful).

With the SR300, it won't let me scan in head mode at all which is annoying because for the F200, it didn't 'officially' support some of the scanning modes (like body and possibly object) but you could still set it and it would work fine. Now they have made it throw an error when you try to do the same with the SR300 so we can't see for ourselves whether the camera can do it.
3D Scanning on the SR300 does seem very buggy. I can sometimes get a scan of my arm while it's in face mode but other times it'll throw an error and the camera will refuse to work again until I restart my PC. Though having said that, 3D Scan is listed as being in alpha on the release notes for this version of the SDK, so perhaps we shouldn't expect too much more from it for now. Hopefully the next version will be more stable!

0 Kudos