Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Build Failure with 3357

Ed_T_
Beginner

Folks,

Since upgrading to 3357 a couple of days ago, every build I attemp fails. This even includes the unchanged version already published to Google Play.

I get the green arrow that says no problems found, but I also get the red bar marked build failure. The onscreen log has no red items, the full log says the build succeeded, but stops short as you can see by the last few lines of the full log:

:preDexX86Release
:dexX86Release
:processX86ReleaseJavaRes UP-TO-DATE
:packageX86Release
:assembleX86Release
:assembleRelease
:cdvBuildRelease

BUILD SUCCESSFUL

Total time: 1 mins 8.793 secs
Built the following apk(s): 

Any ideas? Am I doing some noob bonehead thing?

Is there a link to the previous version so I can go back and test if it's this version or my computer?

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Pamela_H_Intel

Ed,

I have not seen this. I will check with the build engineers. Meanwhile,

• send me a screen shot showing the green and redtry building one of the sample apps and tell me what happens
  • what are your targets? Android? Android with Crosswalk? any others?
  • any special plugins?
  • also - send a screen shot of the green and red.

Pamela

0 Kudos
Ed_T_
Beginner

Pamela,

Attached is a screen shot. The inset in the white frame shows the same block on the build screen while the mouse pointer hovers over the green check.

I did retry the build without Crosstalk and the failure changed marginally in that it says it generated a file:

:preDexRelease
:dexRelease
:processReleaseJavaRes UP-TO-DATE
:packageRelease
:assembleRelease
:cdvBuildRelease

BUILD SUCCESSFUL

Total time: 21.442 secs
Built the following apk(s): 
	.../builds/build.2016-05-25.20-26-53.DNHw60.tmp/FCTides/platforms/android/build/outputs/apk/android-release-unsigned.apk

0 Kudos
Ed_T_
Beginner

Pamela,

I can't tell if the jpg uploaded successfully.

I've mirrored it at www.netdogg.com/image1.jpg

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Ed,

I get a 404 error. Try attaching the image using the "Attach Files to Post" link (just above the submit button).

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Ed,

Two things:

• First - We're pretty sure we are detecting your key type incorrectly and need to make some changes in our build system. We need your help. Please run the following keytool command on your keystore file:
    • Download your keystore file if you don't already have a copy (do this in the Account Manager - person icon, upper right of XDK)
    • In a command prompt window (I'm assuming Windows, otherwise just terminal) run the following (note: the directory is "Downloads" only because that is where my keystore file was when I did this.) C:\Users\edsAccount\Downloads>"%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre8\bin\keytool.exe" -list -v -keystore key-edsKeyfile.keystore
    • Note: you may have a different jre version and it may be in a different location <<edited - was missing space in keytool command>>
    • Send the results of that command to html5tools@intel.com or private message me the results
  • Second - a temporary workaround till we get this figured out would be the following. This will allow you to continue working.
    • uncheck the "Signed" checkbox in Build Settings, and self sign your app
    • Here is a link that describes how to self sign: http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4069/l/32674-how-do-i-create-a-self-signed-certificate-for-an-android-app
0 Kudos
Ed_T_
Beginner

>First - We're pretty sure we are detecting your key type incorrectly

>\bin\keytool.exe" -list -v -keystore key-edsKeyfile.keystore etc

Well THERE's the noob bonehead thing I was talking about before (although I'm one of the few Intel customers you'll ever talk to that has actually held a 80186 chip in their hand)

When I created the keystore, I didn't create a short password. I've just done a cut and paste of the whole contents of the keystore as the pw so when I try to run they keytool utility and paste that mile long pw to the command line it blows things up.

Is there a way to go back and add one, or do I have to do it  at creation?

>  you may have a different jre version and it may be in a different location

Ya think? I spent a long time looking for it in XDK folders, but it was hidden in Program Files (x86) andit is jre7

>Send the results of that command to html5tools@intel.com or private message me the results

Private message? The clik in the corner?

I'd love to, but I want to make sure I send you something that is useful. Please advise me on the keystore issue. Should I create a new one in 3357? Should I reinstall 2893, then create a new keystore, then test it?

> Second - a temporary workaround till we get this figured out would be

What about just staying with 2893 until you email me and say something like, "Want you to test this build."

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Ed -- see this FAQ for a few answers regarding your Android certs > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#convert-legacy-keystore < note that if you have NEVER used 2893 (or earlier) to publish an app to a store you can just create a new cert and assign a simpler password to that new cert. So the only reason to use the old cert is if you used it to publish an app, otherwise, it has no value.

So, if you have never published an app, the simplest thing to do is create a new cert and start over.

0 Kudos
Ed_T_
Beginner

Paul,

The first line of my original comment said I was even having problems with a published app already in the Google store.

My main concern in me message to Pamela was to provide the dev team with meaningful information, which is why I asked if there was a way to add a password to an existing keystore rather than only being able to be done when creating a new keystore.

Soooo, can it be done? If so, how?

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Ed - it does sound like you haven't published to Google Play. If you haven't, do as Paul says, just create a new cert. Otherwise, let me know if you want me to answer your questions.

Sorry I wasn't more explicit about the jre. I had to guess at your knowledge base and try not to write too much or too little. Sorry it took you time, but glad you found it.

Anytime you need to send a private message, use the link "Send Author A Message".

Pamela

0 Kudos
Ed_T_
Beginner

Pamela,

I said up front that my problems included a published app (my first actually)

I like this XDK software and the way it is designed, so I want to help you guys make it as good as it can be. So, yes, tell me if I can modify the keystore in a way I can run the command line and get you the information you want.

Heck, I'm not very far along in what I'm doing for my project, so it wouldn't be a big deal to me to send you the keystore file itself for you to analyzse. Heck It's original stored on your servers!

Although published, the app isn't finished, and is more a proof of concept than anything at this point. So for me to pull it from the store, redo it, and republish it later with a different cert is no problem.

As for the workaround until y'all work out whatever the problem is, I've determined I'm just going to go back to the previous version and keep studying until you come up with your next release.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Ed -- you can change the password and the alias on an existing cert, assuming you know it's current password. You'd have to download it, re-sign it, and import it back into the XDK. These instructions might help you get started > https://developer.android.com/studio/publish/app-signing.html#signing-manually < and this FAQ might help > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/cordova#change-keystore-alias < with that.

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Sorry Ed. Yes, you did say you'd published. I'd forgotten. It's not easy to change the password, but you can do it with the keytool as Paul's links explain.

0 Kudos
Ed_T_
Beginner

> but you can do it with the keytool as Paul's links explain.
> It's not easy to change the password,

That little old command line doesn't intimidate me, but when the alias is the full password, you can't use keytool.exe.

I wish I could, but there is no short alias currently, and when I try to paste the whole key into the command line, it BLOWS UP because it exceeds the permissible command line character count. When working with that key, I simply did a cut and paste of the whole file into the form to unlock to build.

Can you pull the information you are looking for from the keystore file itself???

0 Kudos
Pamela_H_Intel

Ed,

There is a way . . . but . . . 

I chatted with a couple of other engineers. I even checked your account to see if you had a legacy cert I could convert back, but no such luck - you created the cert recently. We came up with a myriad of solutions and shot them all down except for two possibilities. BUT FIRST - if the purpose of doing this is to retain your App ID, you should be able to take your app out of Google Play, create a new cert and put the app back in the Store with the same name. You would lose analytics and history, but I'm guessing you don't have much since you created the cert recently.

If you want to change your passphrase:

For both of these options you would need Linux (it has a much more liberal command line length limit). I am guessing you are running Windows, so you could get a Linux VM. I use Ubuntu on Oracle VirtualBox - all free. 

1. This is the easy option but won't likely work. In Linux, use the same keytool command, but leave off the passphrase. You should be prompted for the passphrase. Paste it in. It probably won't work because you probably have some sort of newline character somewhere in the passphrase which will cause an end to input.
  2. Option 2
    • change your LANG environment variable to UTF8 (I can get you the precise line if you would like)
    • write a program to change each character of your passphrase to a unicode encoding: "\u045\u064\u054..." and then use that as your passphrase

Sounds fun . . . but only if you don't have time constraints.

Pamela

0 Kudos