Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Build troubles

Alain_M_1
Beginner

Hi,

My App is finished. It was my first XDK experience. As an old, wise ans experimented web developper, I appreciated this software, javascript support, multiple JS and jquery framework, cordova plugins, etc..

My app is ambitious and mainly uses local storage, camera, file upload, and webservices via ajax/json or google api.

Some aspects were very friendly (app designer for the beginning, editor is excellent, testing solutions are good). Emulator is one of the best I saw on mobile dev.

But there is some shadows.

1/ upgrading is not sure. i quite lost my project when updating from 2336 to 2496 version, and it was very difficult to rollback.

On 2336, my project was built perfectly in androïd, tested successfully on app previex and after installing the apk file on my phone.

on 2496, same project's build failed, with unknown reason. No reason, no possible analyses, so rollback.

2/ Some cordova plugin, documented as perfectly compliant with some Os, failed on build (example : com.msopentech.indexedDB on windows Phone). For a cross platform tool, it's a bad new.

3/ When testing my project on Ios via App Preview, it works perfectly excepted, once again, some cordova plugin problems (indexedDB fails, camera to). Intel App Preview is missing a real debug window to understand what's wrong.

4/Last step, Ios build, was a nightmare. First of all, intel XDK says me that certificate whas missing. The links (in the xdk build windows) that are supposed to show how to get it is broken. With google help, I finally understood that I had to subscribe to Apple developper program (and pay for it), then generates tons of differents IDs on a kafka style platform. But because I have a lot of motivation, I got my certificate,  my adhoc provisionning file and my distribution provisionning file, and yes, I got an access to the build button, My own Everest.

And you know what ? Build fails. "An unexpected error occured while attempting to build the application."

By luck, I had a detailed log file (I didn't have this chance with windows phone build) and I understood that my provisionning file, given by apple, seems to be wrong (see enclosed).

I'm worried, because I wanted to launch my app in Android, IOS and Windows Phone in the same time. It seems that is will not be possible, and for marketing aspects, it's a very bad new.

So i can say know that i love this mobile developpment framework, but it doesn't love me.

So if there is some people that knows how to solve those problems, you are welcome.

Alain Monfort

Paris, France

PS : please forgive me for my froggy english.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
John_H_Intel2
Employee

In App Preview, if you do a 5 finger tap (tap the screen with all 5 fingers at the same time) it will open an alert that will show you which plugins are configured with App Preview. In your project settings, you must select the plugins that you are using (of the allowed core plugins that are built into App Preview), then push your code to the cloud  using the Test tab.

Now, as far as debugging goes, you must build a Debuggable App Preview (DAP). This is done on the Debug tab. There are instructions there that will guide you through that process. Once you have successfully built a DAP, after you install it, do a 5 finger tap and it should say -debug.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
John_H_Intel2
Employee

Alain ~

1. Can you be more specific about how you lost your project? During the upgrade, only the .xdk file should have been modified, as well as migration of plugins if it was necessary.
  2. We can not test all 3rd party plugins and not all are supported. If a plugin requires the use of ‘hooks’ they are not accepted. If you are having issues with a  particular plugin, please create a simplified app that makes use the plugin and upload as an attachment for us to investigate.
  3. 3rd party plugins are not supported in App Preview. You must create a debugable version of App Preview (debug tab in the XDK) or build your app and install it on device.
  4. We are aware of the link issues. It was caused by an upgraded node webkit. If you are on a Mac, they still work. We are will fix this in the next release coming soon. If it helps, you can find them here:

iOS Certs: http://www.html5dev-software.intel.com/amdocs/lib/Intel_Walkthrough_ObtainAppleDevCert.pdf

iOS Prov. Profile: http://www.html5dev-software.intel.com/amdocs/lib/Intel_Walkthrough_CreateDevProvProfile.pdf

iOS CSR upload: http://www.html5dev-software.intel.com/amdocs/lib/Walkthrough_v1_UploadCSR-ObtainCert.pdf

iOS Export a P12 file: http://www.html5dev-software.intel.com/amdocs/lib/Walkthrough_v5_ExportP12.pdf

Android-Crosswalk, two APKs:  https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/9a/72/Intel_Walkthrough_GP-Multiple_APK_Submissions.pdf

We are here to assist you, so feel free to post questions with troubles that you are having.

0 Kudos
Alain_M_1
Beginner

Hi John, 

Thansk for quick reply.

1/ I said I lost my project file because after opening in version 2496, I tried to get back on previous version. it was difficult to uninstall 2496 and reinstall 2336 (errors during uninstall process), but after ccleaner end erasing of all files, I could reinstall it. But the xdk projet updated was not compliant with previous version. So I created a new project, I set up all the preferences, I re-set all the splah and icon images, and i reimport my files. it was long but I did it.

2/  I understand that. But my problem was on quite popular plugins, camera and indexedDB. Is there a way to know which of these plugins are validated, and for local storage, is there a better solution, working on an platforms, to store locally structured data.

3/ I understand. So I still have to learn how to test it on Ios and Windows Phone.

4/ Thanks a lot. I will follow all prerequisits and create new certificates or provfile from your pdf. I will say you if it works better.

Thanks for helping me,

Regards

Alain

0 Kudos
Alain_M_1
Beginner

Hi John,

Your walkthrough was quite precise, but I still cannot debug my app on Ios.

A followed the entire process to get a valid cer file. 

Then I tried to test my app by connecting my ipad. But Xdk ask for a p12 file. >your P12 walkthrough file detailed the process on a mac. is it necessary to have a Mac to test and publish to ios ?

I saw that there is an openssl process to get a p12 file, but to make it, i need a private.key file that is supposed to be given with the csr file... and the apple developper platform doesn't give one.

So I came back to my origional problem : no way to test on Ios with the cordova 3rd part plugins.

Do you have a recipe ?

Thanks

Alain

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

In App Preview, if you do a 5 finger tap (tap the screen with all 5 fingers at the same time) it will open an alert that will show you which plugins are configured with App Preview. In your project settings, you must select the plugins that you are using (of the allowed core plugins that are built into App Preview), then push your code to the cloud  using the Test tab.

Now, as far as debugging goes, you must build a Debuggable App Preview (DAP). This is done on the Debug tab. There are instructions there that will guide you through that process. Once you have successfully built a DAP, after you install it, do a 5 finger tap and it should say -debug.

0 Kudos
Alain_M_1
Beginner

Thanks a lot, John.

With your help, I could build an adhoc version of my app that works on Ios, and then, with the appropriate certificate, build a production one.

So I tested my app. plugin camera and indexedDB works.

I couldn't test vwith the debug fonction, I always had an error ("XDK couldn't find an signed app preview on your device" but it's not important, I made my test with the adhoc ipa build.

Yet, I confirm that App preview do not accpets some plugins that can works on final build.

Thansk

Alain

0 Kudos