Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Building a boost library for MIC

RKannan
Beginner

Hello,

My C++ code uses boost program_options in main() to read command line options. Later in the code I want to offload some computations on MIC.

Using  -offload-option,mic,compiler,"-zdefs", I figured the offload compiler was unable to find definitions for functions program_options. So I thought I could build a version of program_options for the MIC. I tried to pass the -mmic flag to the compiler using instructions here (I used cxxflag) and then referenced the built executable directly:

-offload-option,mic,compiler,"-zdefs /path/to/boost_1_55_0/stage/lib/libboost_program_options.a"

WHen I now build my code, I get

icpc: warning #10145: no action performed for file '/path/to/boost_1_55_0/stage/lib/libboost_program_options.a'

(same error even if I use -offoad-option,mic,ld instead of -offoad-option,mic,compiler.

Questions:

1. Am I on the right track here trying to build a library for MIC?

2. How do I get the offload compiler to link statically to the binary I build?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

We started pursuing an answer to your question but it accidentally got dropped.

Is your question still relevant?

Regards
--
Taylor

0 Kudos
RKannan
Beginner

Dear Taylor,

Thanks for the response. For now I've rewritten parts of my code and eliminated boost usage but it will be good to get this sorted.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

Tim (I assume it's Tim),

Thanks for contributing to the community.

What version of MPSS did you use?

Regards
--
Taylor

0 Kudos
BelindaLiviero
Employee

Also, instructions on building boost were posted here, quite a long time ago - do these help?

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/building-the-boost-library-to-run-natively-on-intelr-xeon-phitm-coprocessor

0 Kudos