Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Building web and mobile (revisited in 1878)

John_F_3
New Contributor I

I am still using my workaround of keeping two copies of the .xdk and .xdke, plus a backup from 1822, so I can build web, iOS and Android +Cordova from the same source. I tested my old backups with 1878 and am presented with the same convert to HTML5 or HTML5+Cordova.

Choosing the former you can build all the desired platforms, but the plugin information disappears.  Is this the phenomenon mentioned in one of the threads below? Choosing HTML5+Cordova everything is still fine--but the build buttons are not present for web.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Joe_W_Intel1
Employee

What OS are you running the XDK on?  If you have a HTML5+Cordova project, you should now see the web app targets on the Build tab in 1878.   In the project settings with a HTML5+Cordova project, the "Web and Packaged App Targets" are there, but grey'd out in 1878, but you can click on them to add those targets to your settings.   The first one you click will give you a warning that Cordova plugins may not work in web apps.

The reason we changed this behavior in the February release was that developers trying the XDK for the first time were getting confused about why Cordova plugins/settings were there when they just wanted to create a web app.  And, unfortunately, we went too far with that model in not allowing current developers access to targets as they had been doing. - so we corrected that in 1878.  .Also, we are looking to add more support for Chrome OS in the future and will likely have to make that a separate project type as well because Chrome's APIs are different than Cordova.

Let us know if this helps.

Joe

0 Kudos
John_F_3
New Contributor I

Jhwolf,

I am reporting that while the build options are present, there is no "Build" label on them and in my Mac OSX implementation they did not respond to clicks.  

Workaround as usual is revert to the previous version and use my multi XDE, XDKE files. I was one of the developers who complained about the 1826 change to eliminate the build options as I have a project that uses once source to build iOS, Android, and web.

0 Kudos
Swati_S_Intel1
Employee

Hello John,

As Joe mentioned you should choose HTML5+Cordova project type. Then on the Projects page in the last row "WEB AND PACKAGED APP TARGETS", click on the webApp target icon on the right side. When you click on it, it will turn blue. After that when you go to Build tab the Web App build target will be clickable. 

Let us know if you are still not able to do it.

Swati

0 Kudos
John_F_3
New Contributor I

Hi Swati,

The procedure works!

So others can follow the steps she mentions, here are some screen shots.  First the dialog that appears when you click web in the project settings and the result on the build page.

0 Kudos