Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Can't open a project with missing plugins

Giorgio_B_1
Beginner

On a Mac with latest OSX and XDK versions, I tried to open a project.

A plugin was missing. As usually, the following window (#1) was shown:

I clicked on "Use project file" but the following message (#2) was shown:

So i reopened again the project and I clicked on "Use directory", then i tried to add the plugin again, but the following message (#3) was shown:

I then tried to create a new project (to download the plugin, copying it in the folder and modify the configuration file) but again the message (#2) was shown!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Exit the XDK and find the <project-name>/plugins folder (inside your project folder); there are some json files in that folder. Edit those json files so they have no reference to the problem plugin (cordova-plugin-x-socialsharing). Also, if there is a folder in the plugins folder that corresponds to that plugin (e.g., <project-name>/plugins/cordova-plugin-x-socialsharing) remove that folder.

IMPORTANT: when you edit those JSON files, make sure all JSON punctuation in those files is correct following your edits, especially make note of commas and remember that commas are NOT allowed at the end of a JSON list. Any incorrect JSON punctuation will cause the files to be unreadable.

Now, try opening the project and adding the plugin using the plugin manager.

If you still get the error when opening the project, exit the XDK and open the <project-name>.xdk file (which is also a JSON file) and remove any references to the problem plugin. Again, be sure you adhere to the JSON punctuation rules, especially for commas, or the XDK file will become unreadable. I recommend making a copy before you modify the file.

Again, try opening the project and adding the plugin using the plugin manager.

0 Kudos
Giorgio_B_1
Beginner

there are not references nor folders relative to the plugin (i think because of I clicked "Use directory").

I still get the errors descripted above.

The issues are:

1) i can't add the plugin to an existing project
2) i can't create a new project

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

The second part is what bothers me the most, that you cannot create a new project. Can you create a short movie showing exactly what you are doing to create a new project so I can see what happens.

0 Kudos
Giorgio_B_1
Beginner
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Giorgio -- I think you've got a bad install. I recommend a complete uninstall, following these instructions > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#uninstall-xdk < especially the final steps:

$ find ~ -name global-settings.xdk
$ cd <result-from-above> (for example ~/Library/Application Support/XDK/ on a Mac)
$ cp global-settings.xdk ~
$ rm -Rf *
$ mv ~/global-settings.xdk .

0 Kudos
Giorgio_B_1
Beginner

after some days i tried again to uninstall (using the uninstaller) then download the installer and reinstall (today), now everything work fine.

it wasn't necessary to use the terminal

Thank you anyway

0 Kudos