Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Cannot build iOS app anymore.

Mark_Jayson_F_
Beginner

For some reason, we suddenly cannot build our app anymore on iOS. It says, "The certificate could not be used to sign the application."

We didn't change anything in the app settings, and I used to build it two days ago with the same certificate. I tried generating a new one, hooked it up with the proper provision file, and this still happens.

Any idea what we did wrong?

Running Intel XDK build 2323 on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
John_H_Intel2
Employee

The issue isnt with passwords or plugins. The issue is with the name on your certificate. It contains (or the other guys did) a special char, in this case a comma that is being escaped. We are working on the fix :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Vivek_P_
Beginner

Even I am facing the exact same issue since yesterday. Android builds are working fine but iOS build are not working stating the same reason as stated above.

I am also running Intel XDK build 2323 on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
SithLord
New Contributor I

I'm having this same issue this morning, Android builds fine but not ios.  Last time i did an ios build was yesterday(8/13/2015) morning and it worked.

//An error occurred while building the application. The certificate could not be used to sign the application.

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

iOS build servers are up and running fine.

@Mark - 

The error I see for you is 

"Could not add the certificate or private key to the keychain" which translates to a mismatched distribution cert and provisioning profile.

0 Kudos
SithLord
New Contributor I

I re-download my valid(til Nov 2015) cert from apple and re-added it to 1b(the upload cert function in xdk). The xdk settings is still pointed to the provision file i downloaded but the build still fails because it cannot sign the app.

If the build server is working fine should i get a new CSR and request a new cert from apple?

0 Kudos
Vivek_P_
Beginner

I don't understand, I have not tampered with any project settings or certificates hence this error should not occur to me. It was working just fine 2 days ago.

0 Kudos
Mark_Jayson_F_
Beginner

@John,

Same case for me. I just tried making a new certificate with the provision file using that certificate to check what the problem is.

By the way, we tried using another iOS developer account with a new certificate and it's quite surprising that it worked. I'm extremely confused now as to which the problem is.

0 Kudos
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

I am assuming that you are including the provisioning file before building it.

0 Kudos
Mark_Jayson_F_
Beginner

I am @Amrita. The project is properly configured. 

We tried to isolate the problem by making a Hello World app using the certificate and provision file, and it still won't build. The other account though works fine.

What confuses me though is that, the project has been built before, and everything we didn't change aside from the code - and it doesn't build anymore. 

For now, I'd say the account we're using before can't be used for this build anymore. 

0 Kudos
Rajeev_M_
Beginner

I am facing the same problem since yesterday. I was able to build an IOS app day before yesterday and with no settings changed, I tried building a cordova app yesterday and I've been getting the same error ever since. (I'm using the same accout that I used when the build was working fine) 

Please provide a solition for this ASAP. We have a Beta release this week and we woupld appreciate it if this issue is looked into. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Amit_S_1
Beginner

+1 Please provide a fix asap. We were supposed to submit a fix to the appstore this weekend.

0 Kudos
Vivek_P_
Beginner

Yes. Our app is also pending beta release. Please do the needful.

0 Kudos
Nick_G_2
Beginner

Holy smokes, glad I looked this up, because the exact same thing started happening to me a couple of days ago!!

Need that fix!

0 Kudos
SithLord
New Contributor I

This may be unrelated but i'll grasp at any straw.

Around the time ios build stopped working for me i tried logging into AppPreview for the first time in a long time.  Typing a very long password into the phone is a pain so i changed my password to a shorter one.  Did anyone else change their password recently?

0 Kudos
SithLord
New Contributor I

I tried building another project on the same account and i get the same certificate build error.

I did not upload new code but used the existing project assets last uploaded and built back on 4/2/2015

ios.png

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

To those users having issues building apps, try removing any 3rd party plugins that you have specified in the project settings and try to reupload and build. 

If the build works, then the issue is with the plugin that you added. Check the repo of the plugin for any recent changes the author made.

If the build does not work, start a new thread and post details there.

0 Kudos
Nick_G_2
Beginner

HI John,

Thanks for that info. However I haven't changed any passwords recently, and the only 3rd party plugin I use is pointed at a specific version if it (it won't load without that plugin anyways). 

-NIck

0 Kudos
John_H_Intel2
Employee

The issue isnt with passwords or plugins. The issue is with the name on your certificate. It contains (or the other guys did) a special char, in this case a comma that is being escaped. We are working on the fix :)

0 Kudos
Amit_S_1
Beginner

JOHN H. (Intel) wrote:

I dont think that is the case with us. In any case, the certificate was working before and stopped. Is that what you expected (ie, this was a new bug inserted over the last few days?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Amit_S_1
Beginner

Oh wait, can the company name cause problems? (XYZ, LLC)

0 Kudos
Mark_Jayson_F_
Beginner

JOHN H. (Intel) wrote:

Oh please do. We can't be changing company names because of this issue. Lol.

0 Kudos