Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Cant add or remove plugins

Andrew_A_
Beginner

Hi, 

I'm a Construct 2 user with the latest version of XDK and Construct. 

I came to add a plugin to my project today and everything seemed normal until 'fetching plugin', upon which, after a random amount of time the dialog disappears and nothing happens. I also cannot remove any plugins, same issues as above but with 'removing plugin'. 

I have tried: 

A) Uninstalling and reinsalling XDK
B) Removing all traces of the plugins from config ect and then trying to add them only in XDK
C) Deleting all project files and exporting fresh from Construct
D) Adding the plugin manually in the files and then starting XDK

I tried a few other things too but obviously nothing has worked so far. 

To clarify this issue affects all plugins, third party and core. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks, 

Andy

0 Kudos
25 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew, try installing the prior version (3641) and let me know if you have the same troubles. You'll find links to those installers here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/705276 <

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Andrew, try installing the prior version (3641) and let me know if you have the same troubles. You'll find links to those installers here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/705276 <

Paul, 

Thanks for your reply. I uninstalled 3759 and installed 3641 with no luck; the plugin issue is still apparent. 

I therefore tried opening a new Intel XDK template and seeing if I could add plugins in there - turns out I can without issue. 
With that in mind, I created an empty test project within Construct and exported that; bingo cant add plugins again. Does that mean the issue lies with Construct? I can't currently see any other reports of this issue popping up though, could this alternatively be an issue with my local environment? 

Thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Paul, 

It looks like there are actually one or two other Construct users reporting the inability to add or remove plugins from their projects. 

0 Kudos
Giselle_G_Intel
Employee

It may just be the Construct app environment. Are you exporting the app, then importing it using the new method describe in this link? > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/607195 < At the end of this link, there is a specific method described to also add new plugins. Give this a shot and see if it helps.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- could you export a test Construct2 project that has this problem and attach it to a post to this thread (using the "Attach Files to Post" link below the edit window) so we can take a closer look at what might be causing this. Please ZIP the ENTIRE XDK project folder and attach that ZIP file. It is important that you provide the ENTIRE project folder. If you could also ZIP the ENTIRE project that is exported from Construct2, before you import it into the XDK, that would also be very helpful (so two ZIP files, one immediately of the export from C2 and one of the XDK project folder after you've attempted to add or remove a plugin from the project).

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Giselle G. (Intel) wrote:

It may just be the Construct app environment. Are you exporting the app, then importing it using the new method describe in this link? > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/607195 < At the end of this link, there is a specific method described to also add new plugins. Give this a shot and see if it helps.

Hi Giselle, 
Thanks for your suggestion but I can confirm I am importing using the method described in that link. 

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Andrew -- could you export a test Construct2 project that has this problem and attach it to a post to this thread (using the "Attach Files to Post" link below the edit window) so we can take a closer look at what might be causing this. Please ZIP the ENTIRE XDK project folder and attach that ZIP file. It is important that you provide the ENTIRE project folder. If you could also ZIP the ENTIRE project that is exported from Construct2, before you import it into the XDK, that would also be very helpful (so two ZIP files, one immediately of the export from C2 and one of the XDK project folder after you've attempted to add or remove a plugin from the project).

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your reply - please find attached the two ZIP files you were after.

The Test Project Folder - PreXDK contains all the files produced by the Cordova C2 export before being imported into XDK.
The Test Project Folder - PostXDK contains all the files after the project has been opened in XDK and I confirmed that no plugins could be added. 

The C2 project is an empty HD portrait template taken directly from the Construct 2 library with nothing extra to potentially confuse things. 

I am using the latest version of Construct 241 and after trying the previous version of XDK (and confirming the issue remained) I updated again back to 3759 for this test. 

Please let me know if I can provide any further information/files as I am happy to do so. 

Thanks for your time/assistance,

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- what is the process you are using to open the exported Construct2 project?

I'm seeing an empty plugin specifier in the <project-name>.xdk file for the "post" project, which doesn't make sense, because the "pre" project exported by C2 contains a reference to six valid plugins. Upon opening the exported project the XDK should automatically add those plugins into your newly imported project. I recall working with another C2 developer who was writing over the existing project with a new project, which can cause problems if not done correctly.

There are multiple methods described in this post > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/607195 < Which import method are you using?

What is your dev system? Mac, Windows, Linux?

FYI -- when I open the "pre" project it works as expected. Also, if I open the "post" project I get a project with no plugins, but I can add plugins using the plugin management tool and it works. I tested this on a Mac, if you are using Windows or Linux that might change things, thus the reason for my last question.

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Andrew -- what is the process you are using to open the exported Construct2 project?

I'm seeing an empty plugin specifier in the <project-name>.xdk file for the "post" project, which doesn't make sense, because the "pre" project exported by C2 contains a reference to six valid plugins. Upon opening the exported project the XDK should automatically add those plugins into your newly imported project. I recall working with another C2 developer who was writing over the existing project with a new project, which can cause problems if not done correctly.

There are multiple methods described in this post > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/607195 < Which import method are you using?

What is your dev system? Mac, Windows, Linux?

FYI -- when I open the "pre" project it works as expected. Also, if I open the "post" project I get a project with no plugins, but I can add plugins using the plugin management tool and it works. I tested this on a Mac, if you are using Windows or Linux that might change things, thus the reason for my last question.

Hi Paul, 

I'm using the open button for brand new XDK projects in the following test, using the instructions below this heading in the link you referenced: 

- - - - If you are importing a "NEW" Construct2 R225 Export to XDK project... - - - -

So to be completely clear my process is as follows: 

A) Create brand new project in Construct 2, choosing "New Empty HD Portrait 1080p project" from the drop down example menu. 
B) Give the project a unique name; "TestProjectA" (in this case), before adding values in the ID and Description field so C2 will allow export. 
C) Select Cordova option for export and create a new file on my desktop in which to export the project to. Minify Script is not selected. 
D) In the next dialogue, under options "Hide status bar, Use WKWebView on iOS (faster performance), Use new Intel XDK project format" are selected while "Overwrite .xdk project file" is not (I have also tried this both ways with no difference; I left it unselected for this test as there is no .xdk project for it to overwrite as the folder is brand new)? 
E) I then confirm export and C2 throws out the files. 

At this point I can see that the config file, inside the www folder, within the project folder contains the following plugin references: 

<plugin name="cordova-plugin-crosswalk-webview" source="npm" />
<plugin name="cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine" />
<plugin name="cordova-plugin-file" />
<plugin name="cordova-plugin-httpd" />
<plugin name="cordova-plugin-whitelist" source="npm" />

F) I then open XDK and select "Open An Intel XDK Project".
G) I navigate to the .xdk file in the project folder and select that.
H) XDK opens the project but no plugins appear and I cannot add any. The newly created plugin folder within the project file also remains empty. 

My dev system is Windows 10 based. 

Thanks for your time on this, it is much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- I tried to reproduce this on a Win 10 machine and it works for me (that is, the plugins are retrieved). It did take, however, a very long time to install the plugins, I think I waited 15 minutes, which is not normal. I tried several other things to see if I could force the failure and/or see what is going on, but nothing worked.

Is your XDK installed in the "default" location? Try doing a fresh install but please use the procedure described here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#uninstall-xdk < to perform the uninstall.

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Hi Paul,

Interesting- did the fetching plugin dialogue remain open for the whole 15 mins or did it disappear after a new moments and then work in the background?

My Intel XDK is in the default location -  and I follow the instructions in that threat every time I do a version rollback (which I did last week when I tested 3641). That said I would be happy to do a full uninstall of 3759, following those instructions, and then reinstall.

Unfortunately I am away from my development machine for the next week, so my apologies for the delay before I can do so.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- try following the second step from these instructions > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/faqs/general#uninstall-xdk < to see if that helps; those instructions clear the cache and other temporary files from your machine that the XDK uses. Do this while the XDK is not running, specifically:

> cd %LocalAppData%\XDK
> copy global-settings.xdk %UserProfile%
> del *.* /s/q
> copy %UserProfile%\global-settings.xdk .
0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Hi Paul, 

Apologies for the delay in my reply. 

I followed the instructions you referenced in the uninstall link and cleared the cache (and other temporary files) while XDK was not running. It all executed as expected. 

After re-opening XDK and signing back in, I am unfortunately still unable to add any plugins to my projects, including a new test I produced today.

Any more ideas? 

Thanks for your continued assistance, 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- do you see this same behavior if you create a new project using the "hello cordova" sample? Does it retrieve plugins or does it also fail? That is, does this ONLY happen if you open an Construct2 exported project, or does it also happen when you use one of our sample projects? Try creating a project based off the "hello cordova" sample and the "facebook" sample, the first uses a large number of "core" plugins and the second uses and external third-party plugin.

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Hi Paul, 

Starting a new project using the "Hello Cordova" and the "Facebook" sample I do not see the same behaviour - I can add and remove plugins without issue. 

So this looks to be an issue with Construct not XDK? 

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- it looks like a problem with the exported project from Construct2. But I couldn't find anything in the sample projects you provided that I could say is the reason for what you are seeing. I'm sending you a private message to get a copy of your project.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- I got your sample app and I am still unable to reproduce the issue. I tried it on a Windows 10 machine. Again, one thing I noticed is that it took an unusual amount of time to install one simple plugin (I installed the Cordova "device" plugin, which is a small, simple plugin). But during that wait there was a message indicating that the plugin install was happening, I just had to wait for it to complete.

I notice that the project you sent me has ZERO plugins specified in the project. That is, the project.xdk file specifies no plugins and the plugins folder was completely empty. However, the config.xml file that the Construct2 exporter created DOES include some plugins, listed below:

• <plugin name="cordova-plugin-crosswalk-webview" source="npm" />
  • <plugin name="cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine" />
  • <plugin name="cordova-plugin-file" />
  • <plugin name="cordova-plugin-httpd" />
  • <plugin name="cordova-plugin-whitelist" source="npm" />
  • <plugin name="cordova-plugin-inappbrowser" source="npm" />

Most of this list should also be part of the project.xdk file.

This condition is consistent with the "pre" and "post" projects you provided in an earlier post; for some reason, when you open the exported Construct2 XDK project, something is happening that is causing the plugin list in the project.xdk file to be removed or eliminated, either because the list is getting mangled or misunderstood during that open or because the XDK cannot retrieve any of the plugins and is quietly failing.

Can you do the following:

• export a C2 project
  • make a copy of the <project-name>.xdk file that is exported
  • open that C2 project with the XDK (using the green button on the Projects tab "Open an Intel XDK Project")
  • when the XDK has finished opening the project, close the XDK
  • find the xdk.log file and attach it to a post to this thread
  • also post the new <project-name>.xdk file and the original <project-name>.xdk file
  • and post the config.xml file that the C2 exporter created

You'll find the xdk.log file in the %LocalAppData%\XDK directory.

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Hi Paul, 

followed your instructions, please find attached the files you wanted. 

thisIsATestProject(Pre) is the copied XDK project directly out of Construct before opening in XDK.
thisIsATestProject(Post) is the XDK project after opening in XDK.

Also included is the XDK log file and the Config file produced by Construct. 

Thanks again for all your help on this, it has been driving me nuts! 

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- I'm not seeing anything telling in the xdk.log file you provided, and the other files are consistent with the previous info you've provided. However, I was finally able to reproduce the problem!! Using the old "pre" and "post" projects you provided, I tried the "pre" again, to compare the log from my open of the project to yours. This time I got what you're describing, the plugins are not added and no new plugins can be added to the project. I'll be forwarding this to engineering in the hopes that they can reproduce it and resolve what is happening.

Are your project files located on a shared network drive? Are you running Windows inside a virtual machine?

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Andrew -- I figured out what is causing the problem. It is the presence of the config.xml file in the www folder in your project that is interfering with the plugin add operations. I don't know why, but this appears to be the source of the problem. Rename or delete that file and your plugin adds should start to work.

0 Kudos
Andrew_A_
Beginner

Hi Paul, 

thanks for your messages - I'm very glad you can reproduce the issue! 

I can confirm that my project files are not stored on a shared network drive (Desktop of primary drive) and I am not running Windows inside a virtual machine. 

It looks like the config file is part of the problem, but I can't report total success with removing the config.xml file allowing me to add plugins again. Interestingly, 'empty' projects I export from C2 will be fixed by removing the config file. My main project (that I sent you previously) on the other hand still fails to resolve/add plugins even with the config file removed. I tried: 

Removing the config.xml file from my current primary project (which is already registered in XDK) and then opening XDK. No plugins were present and none could be added. 

I then tried re-exporting that project from C2 to a new location on my desktop, removing the config file and then opening in XDK. This DID cause a new popup saying XDK was resolving plugins, but once that had 'finished' no plugins were added and I still couldn't add any. 

I then tried removing all projects from XDK, clearing the cache, re-exporting my primary project from C2 to a new location, removing the config file, opening in XDK and despite again getting the 'resolving plugins' alert, no plugins were added and I still cant add any. 

Any more ideas? 

Thanks again for all your help

0 Kudos