Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Computer's BIOS not picking up Xeon Phi Coprocessor?

SPlaz
Beginner

Hello,

I bought a Xeon Phi 7120P recently to use with my computer. Since my motherboard (Asus STRIX Z-370-e w/ 8700k) supports above 4G decoding, I assumed that the Xeon Phi would work with my system. However, no matter what I have tried, the BIOS nor any OS seems to see the Coprocessor as installed in my system. The motherboard registers the slot as filled, and brings my main GPU down to x8, but says that there is nothing installed into the 2nd pci-e slot. I've also tried it as the only PCI-E card and used dedicated graphics, but to no avail.

Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JJK
New Contributor III

Just to make sure: does the Xeon Phi board come up with a steady (blue, IIRC) light after the box has booted? if not, then either the card is dead or it does not get enough power.

Also, make sure to set the PCI-e to version 2 - in some rare cases the board tries to use version 3, which can cause problems.

0 Kudos
SPlaz
Beginner

Hi, Thanks for the response.

After the box has booted, the Phi has a Blinking Blue light, not a Solid Blue one.

(EDIT: I'd also like to add that the Blue light is blinking quite quickly.)

0 Kudos
JJK
New Contributor III

I just checked my Xeon Phi 5110D and it shows a blinking light as well... hmmm I remember something from the Intel manuals about steady light versus fast blinking versus slow blinking blue leds, but I cannot find it anymore.

Anyhow, is it possible for you to try it without the GPU installed - an 8700K has built-in graphics as well, right?  It will be just for debugging purposes.  Then fire up a Linux live CD and see what "lspci " reports. If it still does not show anything KNC related e,g.

8a:00.0 Co-processor: Intel Corporation Xeon Phi coprocessor 5100 series (rev 11)

then I am afraid either the Xeon Phi is dead or this combination of mobo+Xeon Phi does not work.

0 Kudos