Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Converting iOS apps to Android/BB/etc

Christos_Amarandos
I was wondering if it is possible to convert iOS apps into apps for other mobile operating systems as I have developed numerous iOS and Android apps an know that Android apps can be converted to other OS but what about apple apps are they backwords compatible.

However, apple apps are coded with C+ and android apps are mainly with Java.
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Maikel_Cordeiro
Beginner
Perhaps if you use phonegap. Do you know it?
0 Kudos
Nancy_B_
Beginner
yes phone gap is one answer, if you have developed apps to run on various platforms or a cross platform app your app will run on ios, android, windows etc. A good example is angry birds, temple run, apps they run on various platforms including pc.
0 Kudos
karray_G_
Beginner

Hello,

You can also try to use Titanium... (same PhoneGab's concept but more rich in terms of API) !

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Adrian_Stevens
Beginner

appportable now has an Objective-C compiler for Android.  You'll still need to re-write your UI code but you should be able to re-use most-all of your core logic.

I haven't used it personally but I had a long talk with one of their reps and they've been having a really great success with the platform.

http://www.apportable.com/ ;

0 Kudos
Harsh
Beginner

@ Christios,

Porting a app and maintaing compatibility are two different concepts. To port an app the must retain the behaviour of its native OS in target OS. This is achieved with cross-compilers as peoiple have mentioned. But to create a compatible app means to create a Cocoa equivalent code of Java keeping in mind the functionality, or vice versa depending on where you go. Intel offers XDK as an excellent multi OS development toolkit. Have a look at that.

Rgds

0 Kudos
utsavp
Beginner

Read this 

May be helps you

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/11/18/from-ios-to-android/

i personally prefer appportable 

0 Kudos
Ramith_H_
Beginner

If you choose Xamarin you can easily code for android,ios,windows phone with c#. It shares code with these platforms.

0 Kudos
Vidura_Dhananjaya
New Contributor II

mainly with java and c# for ios,android,windows platforms

check this out-https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/download

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

It depends on which language you are comfortable and expert in 

Cross platform tools based on your technical expertise

• C# - Xamarin using Portable Class Libraries (PCL)
  • HTML/Javascript - PhoneGap (Apache Cordova)
  • HTML5-  Intel XDK 
  • NativeScript - Telerik (Coming Soon)

Here are few articles which will help you porting your IOS app to other platforms like Windows Phone and Android 

Porting your app to Windows Phone 8 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh394031(v=vs.105).aspx

Porting IOS apps to Android 

http://www.mobilephonedevelopment.com/porting-ios-to-android/

0 Kudos
Akhil_R_
Beginner
Try appsgeyser.com or app inventor.
0 Kudos
yaswanth_k_
New Contributor I

have an idea of both programming languages

0 Kudos
Armansyah_T_
Beginner

converting apps from different platform is difficult and will require a lot of task of doing a reverse engineering (depends on the app size). You'll end up by rewriting the code from scratch in the new platform.

0 Kudos
Mohammed_S_1
Beginner

I think all programming languages have the same classes and methods, it couldn't be hard for coding the same app one more time in different language .... instead of having bugs 

0 Kudos
Derp_K_
New Contributor I

Mohammed S. wrote:

I think all programming languages have the same classes and methods, it couldn't be hard for coding the same app one more time in different language .... instead of having bugs 

I agree with you , it's the same logic

Regards

0 Kudos
Adeola_I_
Beginner

You can try phoneGab, or cordover. But better still there are development platforms  that you can use to write an app and port it to different OS platforms. e.g Xamarin studio.

0 Kudos
sprince_d_
Beginner

I am a long time QT user and now it supports mobile devices now. I can developer one app and deploy them to various mobile devices without much modification. but it takes time to learn it.

0 Kudos
lucy_l_
Beginner

To transfer data from iphone to android, i think it's more convenient to use a mobile transfer app. You just need to connect your two phones to computer at the same time and start the app to transfer data, here you should set iphonein the source position and android in the desition position.

0 Kudos
Lena_F_
Beginner

lucy l. wrote:

To transfer data from iphone to android, i think it's more convenient to use a mobile transfer app. You just need to connect your two phones to computer at the same time and start the app to transfer data, here you should set iphonein the source position and android in the desition position.

Is it possible to transfer data such like text messages, contacts, photos?

I think it can be helpful for users who have more than one phone.

0 Kudos
Kolpoiu_f_
Beginner

It is impossible to transfer ios App data to Android. The third party phone transfer tools can only move your app from phone to phone but can't sync your App data between iOS and Android.

0 Kudos
Tim_M_
Beginner

Harsh M. wrote:

@ Christios,

Porting a app and maintaing compatibility are two different concepts. To port an app the must retain the behaviour of its native OS in target OS. This is achieved with cross-compilers as peoiple have mentioned. But to create a compatible app means to create a Cocoa equivalent code of Java keeping in mind the functionality, or vice versa depending on where you go. Intel offers XDK as an excellent multi OS development toolkit. Have a look at that.

Rgds

@ Christios,

Porting a app and maintaing compatibility are two different concepts. To port an app the must retain the behaviour of its native OS in target OS. This is achieved with cross-compilers as peoiple have mentioned. But to create a compatible app means to create a http://www.gorrosdepainatal.pt Cocoa equivalent code of Java keeping in mind the functionality, or vice versa depending on where you go. Intel offers XDK as an excellent multi OS development toolkit. Have a look at that.

Rgds

@ Christios,

Rgds

@ Christios,

Rgds

Thanks guy! I have the same problem, do you know if it works with all versions?

Tim

0 Kudos