Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Copying a Project

Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

Previously I have renamed the project folder, XDK and XDKE files, then edited the projectGUID to all zero's in order to create a new copy of the project.

I have since learned that I should just delete the XDK and XDKE files and them import the source into a new project, however the problem with this is you do not get the designer option, only the code editor.

Doing it my way left the designer connected to the project so you can continue to visually design the App.

Am I missing something here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

To be honest, I thought I was doing it wrong because it seemed fiddly and I had read on the forums that deleting the XDK/XDKE files then importing into a new project would suffice.

I was experimenting with different editors to change the projectGUID to zero's and TextWrangler works better than text edit otherwise you get a format error when trying to open the XDK file.

XDK could do with a copy project option which would reset the projectGUID and maintain the reset of the project.

Is there a way of importing a project and implementing the designer function.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- you should use the first technique because it preserves the project settings. In particular, you need the XDK file (you can usually get away with deleting the XDKE file). What happened that caused you to not use that technique?

0 Kudos
Nick_F_2
New Contributor III

To be honest, I thought I was doing it wrong because it seemed fiddly and I had read on the forums that deleting the XDK/XDKE files then importing into a new project would suffice.

I was experimenting with different editors to change the projectGUID to zero's and TextWrangler works better than text edit otherwise you get a format error when trying to open the XDK file.

XDK could do with a copy project option which would reset the projectGUID and maintain the reset of the project.

Is there a way of importing a project and implementing the designer function.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Nick -- you can only get the App Designer feature if the <project-name>.xdk file specifies that it is an App Designer project. If the project did not start out as an App Designer project it will not magically become one. Simplest way is to create a blank template and select the "use App Designer" checkbox.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

p.s. I agree, I wish the XDK also had a copy project feature. I've asked for it many times, but it has never gotten high enough on the list.

0 Kudos