Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Cordova Sharing Demo will not build for Android

Robert_P_4
Beginner

Using Intel XDK 3522 on Lubuntu linux the Cordova Sharing Demo will simulate but not build due to "Error in zipping package assets" - see attached full error message,  The same (or similar) occurred when I tried to build this on a Windows 7 install.

I am new to Intel XDK and Android and only have a recent interest in Javascript.   Should I try to build the demo (or parts of it) from a clean Cordova template or is the problem with the plugin itself?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

I've updated that sample, it should build now. However, it may be a few hours before the updated copy of that sample shows up in your XDK. You can tell it is updated by looking at the title when you run it in the Simulate tab, it should now say "Social Sharing" for the title.

0 Kudos
Robert_P_4
Beginner

Thank you for the quick response.  I've tried creating new Cordova Sharing demo projects every couple of hours, the last one a few minutes ago, and the build error remains the same.  Is there something else I need to do so that the XDK IDE can find the new version of the sample?

I've not been having a lot of luck with the samples.  The InApp Browser works on the simulation and opens on the Android 4.1 device with an internet connection but as soon as I try a button, the app dies.

Trying other Cordova plugins has also been frustrating.

The Cordova File plugin seems to work on the device but the simulation does not seem to emulate any storage.  Various forum articles seem to indicate that it did simulate storage once upon a time.

The Cordova-plugin-email-composer naturally fails on the simulator as you would expect but just pretends to work on the device without doing anything. I gather this is a known problem.

I need to find a way to export data from the android tablet without using the SD card (we have two old Xooms with no SD card support) - no luck so far.

Otherwise the Intel XDK seems to hold so much promise if I can just get around these hurdles.

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

If you want to just copy files off of those devices it seems like there should already be an app out there to help you out, or you can use adb (http://www.androidauthority.com/android-customization-transfer-files-adb-push-adb-pull-601015/)

0 Kudos
Robert_P_4
Beginner

The simple app I have written can only save to internal storage on the Xooms but it seems the files are private to the app, so I cannot use another app to send them on - I had assumed that export must be done from within the app.  Maybe this adb can overcome the privacy restriction on these files but I suspect I shall just need to buy a new tablet.

Regarding the updated Cordova Sharing app, I forgot to mention that the simulation device still has a heading "Sharing Plugin".  I just tried again and no change.  So I don't seem to be getting your update yet.  Maybe next week. :)

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Sorry about the sharing app not getting updated. I see that it has been updated in the github repo, but is not updated in the product. You can download it from github here > https://github.com/gomobile/sample-cordova-sharing/archive/master.zip < and then "open an intel xdk project" using the green button on the projects tab (after you've unzipped the project into a folder).

0 Kudos
Robert_P_4
Beginner

Thanks Paul, that worked.  :)

0 Kudos
zippora_s_
Beginner

I use it - it seems nice , but not shareing 

missed something?

0 Kudos