Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Create a mobile app for my wordpress website

Afolabi_S_
Beginner

Hello guys, am new to mobile development with intel xdk, i want to create a mobile app for my wordpress website how do i go about this?  I wud appreciate feedbacks . pls reply ASAP ! !! !!! 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Amrita_C_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I would recommend going through getting started documents and videos initially and trying out our existing sample. Next step would be start developing with base as any of our existing sample or template.

0 Kudos
Afolabi_S_
Beginner

ok, how do i get the video's and getting started documents, a link would be appropriate. kindly drop a link to both video tutorials and supporting documents

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Please start here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/lp-index

Wordpress relies heavily on PHP modules. That code will not work inside Cordova project. When you build an Intel XDK mobile app you are building a Cordova project. Please also see this page > http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/5.4.0/index.html

0 Kudos
Afolabi_S_
Beginner

Thanks paul, for the links, i have visited the links above but still unable to comprehend  how to build my mobile app from my wordpress website. pls any hint or tip  on how to build the mobile app from wordpress would be extremely appreciated. PS:- Am a newbie to the development world.

0 Kudos
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

@Afolabi> I think you need to use the Wordpress database in your app. Using AJAX you can send or retrieve information to/from database. If this app is only for you, you can put the user/password inside the app. If you plan a generic app, you need to create a screen to autenticate the database.

0 Kudos
Diego_Calp
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

As all the previous comments stated, create a mobile app with XDK will require you recreate manually every function of your WP site using html5 and javascript, and also learn a way to interact with the database.

If you are new to this, it will be a long way.

My suggestions:

- Change your WP theme to a responsive one. There is one precisely called "Responsive" that works very well. With a theme like this, your website will look very good on devices.
You can go further adding a way to your visitors to "Add to home page" on devices. This creates an icon on device desktop and your website will work like an app, filling the screen and like it was outside the mobile browser. More info about this:

http://www.2ality.com/2014/06/installable-web-apps.html

Add to Homescreen - Google Chrome

Safari Web Content Guide: Configuring Web Applications

- Explore these alternatives, there are ways to create a mobile app from WP sites:

https://apppresser.com

http://www.mobiloud.com

5 Plugins To Turn WordPress Into A Mobile App - WPMU DEV

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Diego

0 Kudos
Afolabi_S_
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback @ Hamilton and @ Diego, much appreciated.

@Diego i have tried out the other plugins. Apppresser too expensive, others cost issues as well

@ Hamilton it's a generic app, pls direct me on how to can send or retrieve information to/from database and also on how to create a screen to authenticate the database? any link would also be appreciated. Am a newbie to the development world.

0 Kudos
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

@Afolabi> to access the data base, use can use AJAX function. To authenticate, I think that use can create a new table on data base to control who can access. The first step in your app is ask login/pwd/name of database and compare with the database. If OK, you can to give access to all functions what you want.

I don´t know what kind of functions do you plan. It is necessary to organize the ideas before start the coding.

0 Kudos
Afolabi_S_
Beginner
i dont get @Hamilton. Hint on the website:- the website is a social network website that enables users sign up via facebook or just register, users simply upload their portfolio's on the website. should i get a html 5 version of the website for me to work with in intel xdk? but then the issue is how do i connect both the mobile app (html 5 version of the website on intel xdk) and the wordpress website together? pls i really really need help.
0 Kudos
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

@Afolabi> I understand now. Your app is for a unique wordpress installation. In this case, you don´t need to get id/pwd of the database, it can be inside your app. You can access directly the database.

One question: what an user will do using the app? Only post new things?

0 Kudos
Geoff_at_CFM
Beginner

Is your website currently using a responsive template that resizes to fit the device it is being viewed on?

If not, then that should be your first step.

Then, depending on what different functionality you want from your mobile app, you can start creating that. It might be a small subset of your website functionality. You can communicate with your website using API and REST methods. But I suspect you will gain little by developing a mobile app?

0 Kudos
Afolabi_S_
Beginner

@Hamilton, users would have to upload their portfolio on the website. but first they would have to register on the website either via facebook or through the sign up form. How do i place it inside my app?

@Geoff it's a responsive website. how do i communicate with the website using API and REST methods?

0 Kudos
Hamilton_Tenório_da_
Valued Contributor I

@Afolabi> Before you think about the app, you need to think about the functions, security and way to do all your needs. Think about what the panel Wordpress do and what your app will execute, how they will work together.

When you have this, your mind will be prompt to think use of XDK to create an app.

0 Kudos
Afolabi_S_
Beginner

Basically the app would enable registered users upload their portfolios (images, videos and so on.) users would have to, sign up via facebook or the normal way i.e username, email, password and so on. Meanwhile it has to be connected to the database of the wordpress website. I need help guys.....

0 Kudos
Geoff_at_CFM
Beginner

Try freelancer.com, or similar, and hire someone to do what you need. You are not going to learn the skills you need on a forum such as this.

0 Kudos
Afolabi_S_
Beginner

Am not asking for the skills, am asking for useful  tips on how to implements it on intel xdk.

0 Kudos