Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Current software dev kit for Edison has a problem

samontab
Valued Contributor II

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that as of 13/Feb/2015, the digital signature for the USB drivers from Intel is expired.

This means that any new install of the software dev kit for the Intel Edison in Windows 8 from that day onwards will not correctly install CDC serial and RNDIS.

On the practical side, this means that the user is not able to upload any sketch to the Edison using the Arduino IDE, which uses the usb driver. Since the installer silently ignores this error, and the rest of the Edison works fine, many developers will tear their hair out trying to upload their sketch to the Edison after correctly following the installation steps.

The current workaround is to remove the check for signatures for new drivers, as explained here:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/disabling-driver-signature-on-windows-8/disabling-signed-driver-enforcement-on-windows-8

But, this is clearly not ideal. Hopefully Intel will provide a new installer soon.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

thanks - we are already aware of this and have fixed it internally. New driver should be available soon

0 Kudos
Matthias_H_Intel
Employee

the new driver v1.2.1 is available for download at Intel® Edison Boards and Compute Modules — Software Downloads

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Nice!, it now even comes with the Intel icon :)

0 Kudos
donghwan_l_
Beginner

wow, i experienced too, i just can find only serial port, there are no intel com port.....

i am disappointed at Intel.... again...

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Why are you disappointed?

The new drivers are working fine. There should be a COM port named Intel Edison Virtual Com Port. I just uploaded a sketch using the arduino IDE with that COM port and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
Jayesh_K
Beginner
donghwan l. wrote:

wow, i experienced too, i just can find only serial port, there are no intel com port.....

i am disappointed at Intel.... again...

Please specify your host setup, specific issue, and the steps followed so that forum member can help you out.
0 Kudos
Dan_S_1
Beginner

Even with this helpful tip, I can install the drivers but the "Getting Started" fails to operate on Windows 8.1 when downloading the Windows 64 bit version.  It just hangs on the splash screen at Loading xdk.xml forever with no error message.  I'm new to this platform but I am out of ideas.  I even tried putty via the COM port and hit Enter twice with no response.  New board.  Ideas?  This is far from newbie friendly.

Addendum: this is what happens when you use the wrong COM port.  Don't be fooled by the one labeled "Intel Edison Virtual Com Port" - that's not it.  Works fine once you figure that out.

0 Kudos
samontab
Valued Contributor II

Well, it depends on the tool that you are using.

For the Arduino IDE, that's actually the one you need to use.

0 Kudos
NagaVenkat_K_Intel

Hi Dan,

Can you please specify your host setup configuration. In order to connect using putty you need to use the USB Serial Port.

Edison_COM.png

0 Kudos
Kevin_B_2
Beginner

drivers not working.......was before I was able to update to ubanix trying to go back to stock distro

last windows update seems to have broken it.....have one com port that it

does not show up as drive in explorer 

I have tried on 3 diff machines.....8.1  Surface 8.1 and a old xp pc also

I have spent more that 16 hours on this......

Sad part it worked before 

0 Kudos
Kevin_L_1
Beginner

I agree. The 1.2.1 standalone driver installs an expired certificate on windows 8.1. 

0 Kudos
ricky_j_
Beginner

i agree

0 Kudos
NagaVenkat_K_Intel

I will try to raise a bug on this issue.

0 Kudos