Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Debug exits on Android after attempting to type in input box

Danny_B
Beginner

Hello,

This is a new problem that has started after upgrading my Android device to the most recent OS. It is a Galaxy Note 7.

Tapping an input field brings up the keyboard. On first keypress, the app closes and I'm taken back to the "App Preview" app selection screen. This happens on an existing app that was not exhibiting this issue before the OS update, and this happens with any sample/demo apps that also include an input field.

Any/all advice/help appreciated. Let me know if more information or screenshots are needed.

Best,

DB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

Danny -- I'll report this to the reponsible engineer. In the meantime, you might try installing an alternate keyboard on your device. The Samsung keyboards have caused problems in the past, and frequently such issues can be resolved by installing and using a different Android keyboard. I recommend trying the SwiftKey keyboard, it works quite well and is a free keyboard > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey <

0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee

BTW -- which version of Android do you mean by "the latest"?

0 Kudos
Danny_B
Beginner

Hi Paul,

I've attached two screenshots. One is a screen demonstrating that I'm using SwiftKey, and the other is the resulting screen after tapping any character on the keyboard. Unfortunately, using the SwiftKey keyboard did not resolve the issue.

I have Android version 6.0.1 installed; but I know a special update was pushed to all Galaxy Note 7s in response to Samsung's recall due to defective batteries.

Best,

DB

0 Kudos
Anthony_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Danny-

I'd like to get some more information from you - I'll send a private message to discuss further.

Once we make progress we'll bring it back to the public thread.

Tony

0 Kudos