Software Archive
Read-only legacy content

Does MIC only support 3 analysis types of vtune?

sun_l_
New Contributor I

Does MIC only support 3 analysis types of vtune:General-exploration, advanced-hotspots, bandwith?

However I use snb-access-contention ,and also got a result.The result is believable?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If your host CPU is sandy bridge, you should be able to collect snb events, but those have little or no bearing on what is happening on MIC.

0 Kudos
Sumedh_N_Intel
Employee

Hi Sun, 

Yes, you are correct. Currently, three analysis are supported for the Intel MIC Architecture: advanced hotspot analysis, general exploration analysis and memory bandwidth. If you run any of these analysis, you should get information related to the execution on the coprocessor.

However, if you use any other analysis such as the  snb-access-contention, then the analysis will be performed on the host system. The analysis result will not be representative of the execution on the coprocessor. 

Is there any particular analysis that you have in mind that you would like to run on the coprocessor? 

0 Kudos
sun_l_
New Contributor I

Sumedh Naik (Intel) wrote:

Hi Sun, 

Yes, you are correct. Currently, three analysis are supported for the Intel MIC Architecture: advanced hotspot analysis, general exploration analysis and memory bandwidth. If you run any of these analysis, you should get information related to the execution on the coprocessor.

However, if you use any other analysis such as the  snb-access-contention, then the analysis will be performed on the host system. The analysis result will not be representative of the execution on the coprocessor. 

Is there any particular analysis that you have in mind that you would like to run on the coprocessor? 

http://www.hpc.ut.ee/dokumendid/ips_xe_2015/vtune_amplifier_xe/documentation/en/help/reference/knc/index.htm#events/about_events.html

As you can see, there are so many events that vtune can monitor.

But I don't see all of it using General-exploration, advanced-hotspots.

Btw, there is a Fatal error when I using bandwith. But General-exploration or advanced-hotspots works fine. Do you know why? Because the app doesn't support banwith or the installation is wrong?

[root@amax kwang]# amplxe-cl -collect bandwith  -target-system=mic-native --  ' ./blackscholes   240 ../inputs/in_10M.txt ../ouput' >>result.txt
amplxe: Using target: mic-native:
amplxe: Fatal error: Cannot find analysis type. Check input parameters or reinstall the product. 

0 Kudos
Sumedh_N_Intel
Employee

sun l. wrote:

Quote:

Sumedh Naik (Intel) wrote:

Hi Sun, 

http://www.hpc.ut.ee/dokumendid/ips_xe_2015/vtune_amplifier_xe/documenta...

As you can see, there are so many events that vtune can monitor.

But I don't see all of it using General-exploration, advanced-hotspots.

Btw, there is a Fatal error when I using bandwith. But General-exploration or advanced-hotspots works fine. Do you know why? Because the app doesn't support banwith or the installation is wrong?

[root@amax kwang]# amplxe-cl -collect bandwith  -target-system=mic-native --  ' ./blackscholes   240 ../inputs/in_10M.txt ../ouput' >>result.txt
amplxe: Using target: mic-native:
amplxe: Fatal error: Cannot find analysis type. Check input parameters or reinstall the product. 

There seems to be a typo in your bandwidth command. The correct command is:

amplxe-cl -collect bandwidth  -target-system=mic-native --  ' ./blackscholes   240 ../inputs/in_10M.txt ../ouput' >>result.txt

Could you please try this out and let me know if it works for you.

0 Kudos